Confusion about synchronization

In summary, the conversation discusses two scenarios for synchronizing clocks on a moving train, one in which the one-way speed of light is assumed to be the same for all and one in which it is not. The conclusion is that both scenarios are correct, and the determination of a preferred frame is not provided by relativity. The concept of simultaneity is also mentioned.
mananvpanchal
Hello,

Suppose, in moving train Observer O is at middle point M, and two clocks is situated at A(rear) and B(front). O has a clock.

I have confusion about time of A and B after synchronization.

I have two scenario, please, tell me which one is right.

(1) If we assume that one way speed of light is same for all.
So, there is no problem if frame is moving or not.

Suppose, light signal takes 2 sec to reach at end and 2 sec for coming back. Using the equation [itex]t=t_1+(t_2-t_1)/2[/itex] we can calculate [itex]t=2[/itex]. So we send "2" signal at [itex]t_o=0[/itex].

[itex]t_o=0, t_a=?, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=1, t_a=?, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=2, t_a=2, t_b=2[/itex]
[itex]t_o=3, t_a=3, t_b=3[/itex]
[itex]t_o=4, t_a=4, t_b=4[/itex]

(2) If we assume that one way speed of light is not same for all, then motion of frame matters. Suppose, light signal takes 1 sec to reach at A and 3 sec for coming back, 3 sec to reach at B and 1 sec for coming back. Using the same equation we can calculate [itex]t=2[/itex]. So we send "2" signal at [itex]t_o=0[/itex].

[itex]t_o=0, t_a=?, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=1, t_a=2, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=2, t_a=3, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=3, t_a=4, t_b=2[/itex]
[itex]t_o=4, t_a=5, t_b=3[/itex]

Please, tell me which is right. If both wrong then please tell me how to synchronize clocks in moving frame.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mananvpanchal said:
Please, tell me which is right. If both wrong then please tell me how to synchronize clocks in moving frame.
Both are right. You just have one more simultaneity "plane" in addition to simultaneity of train clocks and it is different in cases (1) and (2). In case (1) this simultaneity "plane" is the same as for train clocks. In case (2) this simultaneity "plane" is skewed in respect to train clocks.

Basically it looks like you are asking how to determine preferred frame. But relativity does not provide any means how to do that. So either you assume it in arbitrary fashion or do without it.

And maybe this can help Relativity of simultaneity

zonde said:
Both are right. You just have one more simultaneity "plane" in addition to simultaneity of train clocks and it is different in cases (1) and (2). In case (1) this simultaneity "plane" is the same as for train clocks. In case (2) this simultaneity "plane" is skewed in respect to train clocks.

Basically it looks like you are asking how to determine preferred frame. But relativity does not provide any means how to do that. So either you assume it in arbitrary fashion or do without it.

And maybe this can help Relativity of simultaneity

Thanks for reply

Yes, I was confused that which synchronization is right for train frame.

Last edited:

What is synchronization in terms of science?

Synchronization in science refers to the coordination or alignment of two or more systems or processes. It can occur in various fields of science, such as biology, physics, and computer science.

Why is synchronization important in scientific research?

Synchronization is important in scientific research because it helps to understand and study complex systems. It can reveal patterns and relationships between different components of a system, and can also provide insights into how these systems function.

What are the different types of synchronization?

There are several types of synchronization, including self-synchronization, mutual synchronization, and global synchronization. Self-synchronization occurs when a system synchronizes with itself, while mutual synchronization occurs when two or more systems synchronize with each other. Global synchronization refers to the synchronization of all components in a system.

What are some real-world examples of synchronization?

One example of synchronization in the natural world is the synchronized flashing of fireflies. In physics, synchronized oscillations of pendulums or metronomes are common examples. In technology, synchronization is used in computer networks to ensure that data is transmitted and received accurately.

What are some challenges or limitations of studying synchronization?

One major challenge in studying synchronization is the complexity of systems and the difficulty in predicting or controlling them. Additionally, synchronization can be affected by external factors, such as noise or disturbances, which can make it difficult to accurately measure and analyze. Other limitations include the need for precise and sensitive equipment, and the potential for different interpretations of synchronization in different fields of science.