Measurement of concentration of urea

In summary, this method can be used to measure the concentration of urea in water samples. However, it is not quantitative and requires a dissociation step before analysis.
duke656
Dear All

Does anyone have any idea about how to determine the concentration of liquid urea. The concentration is a bit higher (0.5-1.5 mol/L). Is there any laboratory techniques or Kit? I looked for and found everywhere the method to measure the amount of urea in blood and urea but what I want is in terms of mol/L.

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can always dilute your sample, use one of the methods for which the procedure is easy to to obtain (perhaps spectrophotometric determination with diacetyl monoxime?), then calculate the concentration in the original sample.

Thank you Borek.

Will this method work if there is some impurities other than urea? For example I will inject 0.5 M urea into one end of a 1 m long tube full of sand. Then I collect samples from the other end and try to evaluate the concentration.

Thanks in advance.

Peace
Deb

duke656 said:
Dear All

Does anyone have any idea about how to determine the concentration of liquid urea. The concentration is a bit higher (0.5-1.5 mol/L). Is there any laboratory techniques or Kit? I looked for and found everywhere the method to measure the amount of urea in blood and urea but what I want is in terms of mol/L.

Thanks in advance.

You found the method everywhere and you want to know what it is? :confused: Hard to understand what your problem is.

Probably, I could not make you understand. Let me start from the beginning. I have some water samples obtained from the sandy soil. They are a bit turbid and contain urea in higher concentrations (more than 0.5 mol/L). I would like to evaluate the concentrations of only urea of each of these samples. Please share if you know any easier method. Do you suggest me to dissociate it using some enzymes? But it does not sound quantitative is it?

I assume you've read and are familiar with this paper and the references within? Perhaps this one as well?

1) How is the concentration of urea measured?

The concentration of urea is typically measured using a technique called the urease method. This involves adding a specific amount of urease enzyme to a sample of the substance being tested, which breaks down urea into ammonia and carbon dioxide. The amount of ammonia produced is then measured, which can be used to calculate the concentration of urea in the original sample.

2) Why is it important to measure the concentration of urea?

The measurement of urea concentration is important for several reasons. Urea is a waste product that is produced by the body as a result of protein metabolism. Abnormal levels of urea in the blood can indicate kidney or liver dysfunction, dehydration, or other health issues. It is also important to monitor urea levels in industrial settings, such as in the production of fertilizers and plastics.

3) What units are used to measure the concentration of urea?

The most common unit for measuring urea concentration is milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) in human blood samples. However, it can also be measured in other units such as millimoles per liter (mmol/L) or milligrams per milliliter (mg/mL) depending on the specific application and the concentration of the sample being tested.

4) What factors can affect the accuracy of urea concentration measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of urea concentration measurements. These include the quality of the urease enzyme used, the temperature and pH of the sample, and the presence of other substances that may interfere with the reaction. It is important to carefully control these variables in order to obtain accurate results.

5) Are there any potential risks associated with measuring urea concentration?

In general, measuring urea concentration is a safe and routine procedure. However, as with any laboratory test, there is a potential risk of contamination or exposure to hazardous chemicals. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate personal protective equipment when handling samples and conducting the measurement process.