How can one start to THINK IN NUMBERS?

• Thread starter cdux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, there is a debate between the importance of text-based theory and thinking in numbers when it comes to learning mathematics. Some argue that a strong foundation in theory is necessary before being able to think in numbers, while others believe that it is possible to think in numbers without extensive text-based theory. It is suggested that the key is to focus on understanding the relationships between numbers and to immerse oneself in the language of mathematics in order to become fluent in it.
cdux
I keep hearing even by very brilliant Engineering co-students that they require a lot of text-based theory before going into numbers. However, there is also a good deal of good Mathematicians that state they can think in numbers, requiring theory, but not strictly in a text form, or at least an extensive one.

So, how can one go about in order to start thinking in numbers, having as a base the minimal required studying of theory?

Is it only a matter of just paying more attention to it at the initial steps and not rely solely on later friction with practice, or is it a generally different state of mind?

I wait for your opinions. Even if they are not targeted and go beyond the field slightly, they're welcome.

edit: 'Numbers' is loosely used to mean also Mathematics.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I suspect your different sources are being glib - they are actually talking about the same things but not being precise in their language - possible for effect.

What's important in the math is not the numerals or values themselves but the relationships between them.

What the sources are talking about si the way that the math becomes a language that you use to describe the phenomena under investigation. You gain this awareness/facility the same way you become fluent in any language - you have to immerse yourself in it and use it all the time.

1. How can I improve my ability to think in numbers?

To improve your ability to think in numbers, you can practice regularly by solving math problems and puzzles. You can also try to visualize numbers and their relationships, and learn different strategies for mental math.

2. Is it possible to learn how to think in numbers if I am not naturally good at math?

Yes, it is possible to learn how to think in numbers even if you are not naturally good at math. With determination and regular practice, anyone can improve their ability to think in numbers.

3. Can certain techniques or exercises help with developing a better understanding of numbers?

Yes, there are various techniques and exercises that can help with developing a better understanding of numbers. Some examples include practicing mental math, using number games and puzzles, and learning about number patterns and relationships.

4. How can thinking in numbers benefit me in my daily life?

Thinking in numbers can benefit you in your daily life by improving your problem-solving skills, helping you make more informed decisions, and increasing your overall understanding of the world around you. It can also be useful in various fields such as finance, statistics, and science.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can aid in developing the skill of thinking in numbers?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to aid in developing the skill of thinking in numbers. These can include books, online courses, educational apps, and even everyday activities like budgeting or measuring ingredients in cooking.