Looking for management application

In summary: We would like to be able to use the same platform on different devices. Can Outlook be used on different platforms? (iPhone, Android, PC, Mac, etc.)Yes, Outlook can be used on different platforms.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
OK, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=107206"opensource s/w. We've had a timeline imposed that may preclude developing using an opensource solution. Now I'm looking for something that we can buy and customize to our needs.

I'm not sure what kind of software this is called. It is basically event management, but not events like shows, these are software events. We are a webcasting company, and we schedule many webcasts per day. This means less emphasis on calendarization and more on metadata and interoperation with our other systems (such as reading/writing to other databases, who can then act on that data.)

I'm looking for an application where the first, most important criterion is that it can be customized. We won't be happy with somebody else's idea of what a software event application looks like, and will want to add and drop out data and functions as we see fit. Yes, this will require development.

I'm looking for something that is:
- customizable, surely via back-end development
- able to add/modify/duplicate events
- supports lots of custom metadata
- can interact with our existing databases (it can have a db of its own, but needs to be able to modify and read from others, so it can do its work)
- has flexibility in views - calendars, lists, etc.
- rich in supporting features such as client addressbook
Nice to haves:
- touches like notifications, alerts
- if it were PHP/Mysql-based platform-independent, that would greatly help integration

If you have any suggestions, I would very much like to hear them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand what your after. Do you want to schedule when applications run?

The closest thing I can think of just off the top of my head that would fill most of your requirements, might be, a "medical office management program."

Well, all they really do is update a database that our Media servers use to schedule events. So not directly scheduling applications.

I guess making sure that the data and support of our workflow is critical - so I want it customizable. eg. Outlook can schedule stuff, but only if you do it the way *they* see fit.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, all they really do is update a database that our Media servers use to schedule events. So not directly scheduling applications.

I guess making sure that the data and support of our workflow is critical - so I want it customizable. eg. Outlook can schedule stuff, but only if you do it the way *they* see fit.
I've always used Outlook for this very type of thing. What do you need that Outlook doesn't do?

Evo said:
I've always used Outlook for this very type of thing. What do you need that Outlook doesn't do?
1] Our producers need a UI that is closely tied to their workflow, not some UI that they are shoehorned into. How customizable is the workflow of Outlook? (i.e I want to show these 18 properties, and I want these 3 to be dropdowns so I can pick from the optinods without having to go to a separate page. I want a one-click user filter, not some generic search box, etc.)
2] Platform independence.

Last edited:

1. What is a management application?

A management application is a software program designed to help individuals or businesses organize and manage their tasks, projects, and resources. It typically includes features such as task tracking, project planning, team collaboration, and data analysis.

2. How can a management application benefit me?

A management application can help you increase productivity, improve organization, and save time by providing a centralized platform for managing your tasks and projects. It can also help you communicate and collaborate more effectively with team members.

3. What features should I look for in a management application?

Some key features to look for in a management application include task tracking, project planning and scheduling, team collaboration tools, data analysis and reporting capabilities, and integration with other software and systems. It's important to consider your specific needs and choose a management application that best meets them.

4. Are there different types of management applications?

Yes, there are different types of management applications, such as project management software, task management tools, time tracking systems, and resource management platforms. Each type may have different features and functionalities, so it's important to research and choose the right type for your specific needs.

5. How do I choose the right management application for my needs?

To choose the right management application, it's important to assess your specific needs and goals, research different options and compare their features, read reviews and ask for recommendations, and consider factors such as cost, user-friendliness, and customer support. It may also be helpful to trial the software before making a decision.