Earth as energy absorber for EME

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Earth being both an energy absorber and a conductor. The definitions of energy conductor and absorber are also provided. The premises for using a ground rod or ground rod beds are discussed, as well as the role of the Earth in lightning strikes and its ability to transform electrical energy into other forms. The conversation also touches on the topic of tornadoes and their electrical vortices. The conversation is seeking opinions and explanations from physicists on these concepts.
dsky
Dear Physicists,
A break from your usual heavy science, might ease a bit .
Im trying to reconcile the concept :

Earth is both an energy absorber and a conductor

Let :
E : energy EME : electromagnetic energy MgE : magnetic Energy
M : mass EE : electrical energy H : heat
ME : mechanical energy

( my general definition)

Energy conductor : is letting energy to pass thru, providing nearest path to the E source

Energy absorber : is receiving E and releasing a counter E until the net sum is zero. Also receives E in any form and transforms it to other forms.
Premise 1.
Earth is used as the return conductor for a dc transmission sys.

Premise 2. Earth as an energy absorber.

a. Lightning : it is an EME with an equivalent mass( by einstein’s theory), Earth is mass, two mass attracts, (by gravitational force), Earth releases counter E to lightning making net energy exchange to zero.(lightning is absorbed)

b. An isolated generator with its output is directly connected to earth,
In the counter reaction of E between Earth & generator, the earth’s E is transformed to EME (back emf creating counter magnetomotive force) which tends to stop the shaft. All E is transformed to H, in the process pushing material strenght limits, more heat until energy is back to zero.

c. The natural flow of EE to the Earth is analogous to water seeking the path of less resistance, to a position of lowest potential energy.( its high potential energy is absorb by the earth)

I’m using the above premises as the purpose or reason for using a ground rod or ground rod beds.” which is to provide a low resistance path for Earth to absorb the leakage ( short circuit to ground) energy and of lightning energy.

I’m an electrical technician just trying to understand electrical phenomenon in easier way.
Your opinions is appreciated

Thanks
Dsky

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
dsky said:
Dear Physicists,
A break from your usual heavy science, might ease a bit .
Im trying to reconcile the concept :

Earth is both an energy absorber and a conductor

Let :
E : energy EME : electromagnetic energy MgE : magnetic Energy
M : mass EE : electrical energy H : heat
ME : mechanical energy

( my general definition)

Energy conductor : is letting energy to pass thru, providing nearest path to the E source

Energy absorber : is receiving E and releasing a counter E until the net sum is zero. Also receives E in any form and transforms it to other forms.
Premise 1.
Earth is used as the return conductor for a dc transmission sys.

Premise 2. Earth as an energy absorber.

a. Lightning : it is an EME with an equivalent mass( by einstein’s theory), Earth is mass, two mass attracts, (by gravitational force), Earth releases counter E to lightning making net energy exchange to zero.(lightning is absorbed)

Please discontinue this wrong impression. Earth has a REST mass. Electromagnetic radiation such as light has ZERO rest mass (by Einstein's theory). You are welcome to look for a ton of threads already on this in the SR/GR forum, or any physics FAQ.

Zz.

Dear Moderator, Zapperz
I didn't mean to bother you, but do you know a specific thread that explains the state of the Earth as mostly the target of lightnings, and what happens when electric energy is diverted to it.
Thanks very much for the comment. I'll keep on searching
dsky

dsky said:
Dear Moderator, Zapperz
I didn't mean to bother you, but do you know a specific thread that explains the state of the Earth as mostly the target of lightnings, and what happens when electric energy is diverted to it.
Thanks very much for the comment. I'll keep on searching
dsky

If this is the main topic of your question, then this belongs in the Earth forum. That is where I'm moving this to.

Zz.

"Absorber" really isn't a scientific word. I think the word you are looking for is "sink" (which then also implies a source).

In this context, I would call the Earth a charge source/sink.

I wouldn't call the Earth a conductor, since it doesn't really transport electricity from one place to another: it is an originating or ending point, with a large capacity (relative to what goes in and comes out).

I wouldn't call the Earth a conductor, since it doesn't really transport electricity from one place to another

I don't know about that. Here in the good ol' US nearly every tornado spins counterclockwise. Every now and then though, one will spin clockwise. If they're the awesome electrical vortices like some think they are, something has to be coming and going.

hi to the moderators here, Ms Monique, Mr Iansmith,
i hope you won't transfer me too.
may i have your opinion to my post.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of Earth as an energy absorber for EME?

Earth acts as a natural energy absorber for electromagnetic energy (EME) from the sun, converting it into heat and redistributing it through the atmosphere and oceans.

2. How does Earth absorb energy from the sun?

Earth's atmosphere and surface absorb a small portion of the sun's energy, while the majority is reflected back into space. The absorbed energy is then converted into heat through various processes such as photosynthesis, evaporation, and convection.

3. How does Earth's energy absorption affect the climate?

The amount of energy absorbed by Earth's atmosphere and surface plays a crucial role in determining the Earth's climate. Changes in the amount of energy absorbed can lead to changes in temperature, precipitation patterns, and other climate phenomena.

4. What factors impact Earth's energy absorption?

Earth's energy absorption is influenced by a variety of factors, including the tilt of the Earth's axis, the thickness of the atmosphere, the composition of the atmosphere, and the reflective properties of Earth's surface (such as land, water, and ice).

5. How does human activity affect Earth's energy absorption?

Human activities such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and agriculture can contribute to the increase of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, which can impact the Earth's energy absorption. This can lead to changes in the Earth's climate and potentially have negative effects on ecosystems and human societies.