Correct use of is proportional to symbol (alpha)

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct use of the proportional symbol in solving a problem involving gravitational force. It explains that the symbol represents an equality between two quantities, and not a simple ratio. The correct way to use it is to include the constant G, the mass and radius of the objects involved. The conversation also clarifies that the symbol is not alpha, but \propto.
Checkfate
Correct use of "is proportional to" symbol (alpha)

Hello, I am facing a problem that can be solved quite easily using the proportional symbol ( I think ), so I would like to try to use it! Only problem is.. I don't know exactly how to use it correctly...

The question is :An astronaut weighs 882N on Earth, determing the weight of the astronaut on Planet X, which has a mass 95.3 times that of Earth and a radius 8.9 times that of Earth.

So, [tex]g=\frac{Gm}{r^{2}}[/tex] and thus [tex]g\alpha\frac{m}{r^2}[/tex]

So I wrote down
[tex]g\alpha\frac{m}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]g\alpha\frac{95.3}{79.21}[/tex]

But of course this false... g is not proportional to 95.3/79.21.. lol. Can someone show me how to correctly show my work? Thanks. This would allow me to simply use this ratio to calculate his new weight.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that G is the gravitational constant, ie. it always takes the value 6.67ishe-11

This constant turns the proportionality into an equality.

Checkfate said:
Hello, I am facing a problem that can be solved quite easily using the proportional symbol ( I think ), so I would like to try to use it! Only problem is.. I don't know exactly how to use it correctly...

The question is :An astronaut weighs 882N on Earth, determing the weight of the astronaut on Planet X, which has a mass 95.3 times that of Earth and a radius 8.9 times that of Earth.

So I wrote down

But of course this false... g is not proportional to 95.3/79.21.. lol. Can someone show me how to correctly show my work? Thanks. This would allow me to simply use this ratio to calculate his new weight.
Saying [itex]g \propto m/r^2[/itex] is equivalent to saying that [itex]g = Gm/r^2[/itex] where G is a constant (the proportionality constant) ie. g is a linear function of m and r2. If you want to perform mathematical operations you have to use the equality sign and the constant.

[tex]g_1 = \frac{GM_1}{r_1^2}[/tex]

[tex]g_2 = \frac{GM_2}{r_2^2}[/tex]

dividing, the constant falls out:

[tex]\frac{g_2}{g_1} = \frac{M_2}{M_1}\frac{r_1^2}{r_2^2}[/tex]

AM

Checkfate said:

So I wrote down

g is proportional to [tex]\frac{m}{r^2}[/tex]
but when cramming in the values you did, you get a comparison to Earth's "g." Multiply (95.3/79.21) by 9.81, and you get the "g" of the other planet.

If you want to use the proportionality sign, then say

[tex]g_{e}\propto \frac{M_e}{r_e^2}[/itex]

and

[tex]g_{x}\propto \frac{M_x}{r_x^2}[/itex]

where [itex]g_{e/x}[/itex] refers to Earth or planet x etc. Now you can say:

[tex]\frac{g_x}{g_e}=\frac{M_xr_e^2}{r_x^2M_e^2}[/tex]
[tex]g_x}=g_e\frac{M_xr_e^2}{r_x^2M_e^2}[/tex].By the way, the "proprtional to" symbol isn't alpha. In tex it's "\propto"... here's the difference:

[tex]\alpha \ldots \propto[/tex]

The first is alpha, the second is proptional to.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys! :)

What does the symbol α represent in scientific equations?

The symbol α (alpha) represents proportionality in scientific equations. It is used to indicate that one quantity is directly proportional to another quantity.

How is the symbol α used in scientific equations?

In scientific equations, the symbol α is typically placed between two quantities to show that they are directly proportional. The equation can then be written as y ∝ x, where y is proportional to x.

What does it mean when two quantities are directly proportional?

When two quantities are directly proportional, it means that they change in the same direction and at a constant ratio. This means that if one quantity increases, the other quantity will also increase by the same factor.

How is the symbol α different from an equals sign?

The symbol α represents proportionality, while the equals sign (=) represents an exact numerical equality. This means that while the equal sign indicates that two quantities are exactly the same, the symbol α indicates a relationship between two quantities that may not have the same numerical value.

Can the symbol α be used to indicate inverse proportionality?

No, the symbol α is specifically used to indicate direct proportionality. To indicate inverse proportionality, the symbol α is replaced with a negative exponent, as in y ∝ 1/x.