How Can I Improve My EEI Performance with a Math-Focused Experiment?

• Thread starter australianschoolkid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the individual is seeking ideas for their next extended experimental investigation (EEI) assignment for next year. They are looking for something interesting and mathematically focused, and are willing to check with their school for necessary equipment. Some suggested experiments include studying the effect of temperature on the speed of sound, examining the relationship between force and distance of a magnet, and exploring the electrical resistance of different materials.
australianschoolkid
Hello all, firstly I would like to thank those who helped me with my recent posts! I have now finished all my end of year assessment. One of those pieces of assessment was an extended experimental investigation (EEI), I was terrible in this assignment and was lucky to just pass. I will need to complete another EEI for next year, (which is my last year of schooling and most important). I want to try and get the best possible mark for next year, and as this is a major piece of assessment I want to start early. So I am writing for ideas, hopefully I want to investigate something very interesting, I love maths so the more equations the better, so any ideas?

An EEI has these characteristics:

·It is extended. An EEI occupies considerably more time than the usual physics practical. An EEI may continue for months and will continue in the background of your normal Physics lessons (as well as your other subjects). You will still be expected to do homework, study for exams, carry out practicals and complete other forms of assessment while the EEI is underway.

·It is experimental. An EEI requires you to conduct an experiment and to collect data. The data will be qualitative or quantitative observations of some particular phenomenon made by you (not by someone else as is the case for a purely book or internet researched project).

·It investigates some phenomenon in the physical world. You will be expected to analyse your data and to draw conclusions. You will discuss whether your results support your hypothesis or not.

Please any questions please ask, If the experiment needs some sort of equipment, I can check what equipment the school has in the next week as after then I will be on holidays.

cheers Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Some ideas for experiments could include: 1. Investigating the effect of changing temperature on the speed of sound in different media such as air and water. 2. Studying the relationship between the force of a magnet and the distance from the magnet to an object. 3. Examining the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction in a ray of light passing through a prism. 4. Exploring the relationship between the length of a spring and the force applied to it. 5. Investigating the pitch of a sound produced by different objects. 6. Observing the motion of a pendulum and recording the time period for different lengths of pendulum. 7. Investigating the electrical resistance of different materials. 8. Determining the relationship between the frequency of a wave and its amplitude. 9. Examining the Doppler effect in a sound source moving at a constant velocity. 10. Investigating the relationship between the length of a wire and its resistance.

Hello Matt,

First of all, congratulations on completing your end of year assessments! It's great that you are already thinking about your next EEI and wanting to start early to ensure a good mark.

Since you mentioned your love for maths, one idea could be to investigate the relationship between different variables in a physics experiment. For example, you could investigate how changing the angle of a ramp affects the distance a toy car travels, or how the mass of a pendulum affects its period. These experiments would involve collecting data and analyzing it using equations and mathematical concepts.

Another idea could be to investigate the properties of different materials and how they affect the speed of sound. This experiment would involve using equipment such as tuning forks, a ruler, and different materials (such as wood, metal, and plastic) to measure the speed of sound in each material and analyze the results.

I would also recommend checking with your teacher or school for any specific guidelines or requirements for the EEI. They may have suggestions or restrictions on what topics or experiments are allowed.

I hope these ideas help and good luck with your EEI!

1. What is the purpose of conducting investigations?

The purpose of conducting investigations is to gain a better understanding of a particular topic or phenomenon. This can include answering questions, solving problems, or discovering new information.

2. How do you come up with ideas for investigations?

Ideas for investigations can come from a variety of sources, such as previous research, observations, or personal interests. It is important to choose a topic that is feasible, relevant, and interesting.

3. What are the steps involved in conducting an investigation?

The steps involved in conducting an investigation may vary depending on the specific topic and research methods, but generally include: identifying a research question, conducting background research, designing a study, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

4. How do you ensure the validity and reliability of your investigation?

To ensure the validity and reliability of an investigation, it is important to use appropriate research methods, carefully design the study, and use reliable and valid measures for collecting and analyzing data. It is also important to consider potential biases and limitations of the study.

5. What are some ethical considerations when conducting investigations?

Some ethical considerations when conducting investigations include obtaining informed consent from participants, protecting their confidentiality, and minimizing any potential harm or risks. It is also important to adhere to ethical guidelines and gain approval from an institutional review board if necessary.