Celebrating Women's History: Glendale College Links

In summary: I think that the program is a great idea to encourage young girls to explore a career in technology. It is not wrong to have programs specifically geared towards certain groups, as long as it is not excluding others. In this case, it is not excluding boys from pursuing a career in technology, it is just giving girls a little extra encouragement. In summary, the conversation discussed Women's History Month at Glendale College and the growth of the celebration over 10 years, as well as the creation of an eclectic list of women's history links by students. Some participants argued about the necessity and potential sexism of Women's History Month, while others discussed the need for equal treatment and opportunities for both men and women in various fields. The conversation also touched on
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"March is Women's History Month. At Glendale College in Glendale, CA the celebration has steadily grown larger and more elaborate over the last 10 years. On a whim, Associate Professor of Mass Communications Mike Eberts had some of his students search the net for women's history links. The result is this eclectic, student-generated list."

http://english.glendale.cc.ca.us/womhist.html

Science news on Phys.org
...but if there was a "men's history month" that would be just sexist...

We have men's history year. We hold it annually.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
We have men's history year. We hold it annually.

Njorl

A disgusting result of the chauvanistic stupidity that man evolved somewhere down the line.

i think he was joking... but in a way he is right, every year we celebrate our history but it is men AND women's history. I think it is more sexist and quite offensive that these women think they deserve something like that for their achievements. We shouldn't go about bragging about what we have done, we should accept it and carry on with the present.

So much for equal rights. It's still a pathetic attempt for battle of the sexes.

Oh, relax already. I am perfectly willing to share equal time with a Men's History Month!
When I was growing up we definitely never learned anything in school about all these wonderful female scientists, writers, etc, that are featured in the links that the group of Glendale students came up with. I found it to be a very interesting resource.

must be an american thing. We don't really learn ABOUT the scientists we learn of what their experiments did but it doesn't matter the gender or the person, its the result that matters...

Originally posted by Math Is Hard
Oh, relax already. I am perfectly willing to share equal time with a Men's History Month!

The problem is that as long as we encourage the separation of men and women within our minds, they will never be equal. In order to truly eliminate sexism, there would have to be no Women's History Month, no men's and women's basketball, mankind would become HUmankind, etc. We need to stop phrasing things such that women and men are treated differently. I realize we're not to that point just yet, but all that Women's or Men's History Month does anymore is perpetuate the separation.

The purpose of the Women's History Month was to raise awareness of the woman's ability to contribute just as much to society as man. I believe we have reached that level, as I see references to scientific, philosophical, religious, and political information presented by women all the time. Our history books could use some revising though... so I guess that in that sense Women's History Month does still serve a purpose. However, I think the main problem is the self-righteous abusive men that use sexism as a way to maintain power. That type of sexism has nothing to do with awareness, and no amount of celebration will fix the problem.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, do you think that programs like the one Girls Scouts is trying to launch, "Girls Go Tech", is sexist and/or unneeded?
http://www.girlscouts.org/girlsgotech/

Do you consider it wrong to have programs specially geared toward encouraging girls and young women to consider careers in technology?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Pergatory
The problem is that as long as we encourage the separation of men and women within our minds, they will never be equal. In order to truly eliminate sexism, there would have to be no Women's History Month, no men's and women's basketball, mankind would become HUmankind, etc. We need to stop phrasing things such that women and men are treated differently. I realize we're not to that point just yet, but all that Women's or Men's History Month does anymore is perpetuate the separation.

I believe a while back (1920s) there was a case Adkins v. Children's Hospital where the court ruled that women shall get no special treatment than men because the Nineteenth Amendment was added to the Constitution.

i do because if the woman is interested, why can't she go to a normal IT club or something, why is there a *special* program. Much like here in England there is Diamond Car Insurance which is for women only, however if there was a Male Only car insurance company, then there would be tons of complaints.

Just out of curiosity, do you think that programs like the one Girls Scouts is trying to launch, "Girls Go Tech", is sexist and/or unneeded?

Do you consider it wrong to have programs specially geared toward encouraging girls and young women to consider careers in technology?

Sexist? Well... yes, how can it not be? If I applied at this program, would I be accepted? No, because I'm a male. That's sexist. Just like Women's History Month, I don't think anyone is being directly affected in a negative manner as you would normally associate with the word "sexist." I think everyone agrees that the program is accomplishing good things, but it should be helping BOTH male and female to accomplish those things. As-is, this program's existence gives the impression that females require extra assistance in order to be competitive in that field. I don't think it's wrong to encourage girls and young women to consider careers in technology, but I do think it's wrong to offer special options to them just because they are female.

Not at all. The GSA is one of the best things around, infinitely better than the predjudiced BSA. And women are a plus in technology, as I will testify from some 45 years of work experience.

1. What is "Celebrating Women's History: Glendale College Links"?

"Celebrating Women's History: Glendale College Links" is an event hosted by Glendale College to commemorate and honor the achievements and contributions of women throughout history.

2. When is the event taking place?

The event typically takes place during the month of March, which is recognized as Women's History Month.

3. Who can attend the event?

The event is open to the public and anyone can attend.

4. What can attendees expect from the event?

Attendees can expect to hear from guest speakers, participate in workshops and discussions, and engage in activities that celebrate and highlight the impact of women in history.

5. How can I get involved in "Celebrating Women's History: Glendale College Links"?

There are many ways to get involved, such as attending the event, volunteering, or even suggesting ideas for future events. You can also follow Glendale College on social media for updates and information on upcoming events.