Annular Plate Stress Calculation(uniform thickness)

In summary, the constraints are the plates has the Inner edge Fixed and supported, uniform load along outer edge.
exclusive80
Hi,

Please guide me in calculating the shear stress value for a Annular plate with constant thickness..

My inputs are Outer radius, Inner radius, Load acting thickness. and the material properties.
I need to calculate the Shear stress value at the inner edge.
The constraints are the plates has the Inner edge Fixed and supported, uniform load along outer edge.

I searched the Roark’s book also. But not clear of to which formula to use.

Please mail me a solution.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you really looked through Roark's, you would know that the necessary calculations are all contained in the book, including "Concentrated load applied at the outer edge of an annular plate with a fixed inner edge" for calculating the radial stress at the fixed edge of the plate.

Annular plate

Mech_Engineer said:
If you really looked through Roark's, you would know that the necessary calculations are all contained in the book, including "Concentrated load applied at the outer edge of an annular plate with a fixed inner edge" for calculating the radial stress at the fixed edge of the plate.

Searched the book.
Only specified about the bending moment.Not the shear stress.

I don't remember the formulas, don't think anybody does because they're pretty long with all those constants, but you can take the general ones probably in the book - make your boundary conditions for movement and stress (2 movement = 0 conditions on inner radius and one wih the stress on the outer radius, I think) put them in those long formulas to find the constants and you'll find the solution for your particular case. Sorry I can't help more, good luck.

Did you take a look at section 10.3 (in my version off Roark's)? It has an example for calculating the deflection due to shear in a in a annular plate with the BCs that you have stated.

Hi exclusive,
Are you referring to the shear stress in the axial direction at the point where the support is? If so, isn't that going to be the load on the plate divided by the shear area?

Or are you referring to maximum shear stress in the plate? In that case, can you determine all the normal stresses and use Mohr's circle to determine maximum shear stress?

You may also consider additional shear stresses as suggested by Fred. That section of Roark's is largely neglected. Stresses given in Table 11.2 do not include this affect.

Note also that the equations in Roark's for normal stress are only good for plates with deflection no more than 1/2 the thickness. Verify your deflections when using Table 11.2.

Annular Plate Stress Calculation

Thanks for your reply.
With reference to your mail I Searched and found the example.i Have also attached the image also. I hope that you too was referring the same example.
I need to calculate the Shear stress. In this example they have given the deflection.
Please guide me in calculating the shear stress at the inner edge.

Attachments

• Roark Calculation.jpg
    Roark Calculation.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,539

1. What is an annular plate?

An annular plate is a circular plate with a hole in the center. It is commonly used in engineering and construction for components such as pipes, tanks, and pressure vessels.

2. What is the purpose of calculating annular plate stress?

The purpose of calculating annular plate stress is to determine the amount of force or pressure that the plate can withstand without deforming or failing. This information is crucial in designing and constructing safe and reliable structures.

3. How is the stress in an annular plate with uniform thickness calculated?

The stress in an annular plate with uniform thickness is calculated using the formula σ = (P*D)/(2*t), where σ is the stress, P is the applied pressure, D is the diameter of the plate, and t is the thickness of the plate.

4. What factors can affect the stress in an annular plate?

The stress in an annular plate can be affected by several factors, including the applied pressure, the diameter and thickness of the plate, the material properties of the plate, and the boundary conditions (such as clamped or simply supported edges).

5. How can the stress in an annular plate be reduced?

The stress in an annular plate can be reduced by increasing the thickness of the plate, decreasing the diameter of the plate, or using a stronger material. Additionally, proper support and reinforcement can also help to reduce stress in an annular plate.