Notation, i.e. making your post look like math

• Thread starter kennykroot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, The conversation discusses how to add mathematical notation in posts. The speaker suggests using the button with a capital sigma to select symbols, but also mentions learning to do it manually. Another speaker suggests using the preview post feature to see the formulae. Some other options and preferences for LaTeX editors are also mentioned.
kennykroot
Can someone please tell me how I can put proper mathematical notation in my posts? Can I use Maple to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, kennykroot.

In the olden days, new members used to read this thread to learn LaTex, but now all you have to do it click on the button with a capital sigma ([tex]\Sigma[/tex]) on it. You'll get a pop-up from which to select the symbols. But you might want to learn to do it the "old-fashioned" way also. :wink:

Wow, that's awfully clunky. Isn't there something more WYSIWYG-ish where I actually see the mathematical symbols instead of the code as you compose the post.

Thanks!

kennykroot said:
Wow, that's awfully clunky. Isn't there something more WYSIWYG-ish where I actually see the mathematical symbols instead of the code as you compose the post.

Thanks!

You don't ask for much do you? :rolleyes:

If you click on preview post at any time, you will be able to see the formulae. If you think that's "clunky" then I can't imagine what you'd think a few weeks ago when the preview wasn't there, and the add-on wasn't there, so users had to write the code themselves. At least we have LaTex enabled on this forum, unlike other forums.

Kids! :rolleyes: :tongue:

Someone posted this link a few months ago. It's not all that different from what you here...it's just that the preview doesn't take a long time.
http://www.hamline.edu/~arundquist/equationeditor/

I don't see the little sigma anywhere :'( Although I quite prefer the old method, it seems more natural, and its sort of like vintage, and i heard that's in right now :)

Gib Z said:
I don't see the little sigma anywhere :'( Although I quite prefer the old method, it seems more natural, and its sort of like vintage, and i heard that's in right now :)

its next to the php and # icons

I don't see those either, even in advanced mode >.< Something is wrong maybe its in my user settings..

Use the Prime Skin. Almost any update these days is seen only with Prime skin.

There are many LaTeX editors. One free one is here:

http://www.sitmo.com/latex/

I prefer using the (commercial) MathType package myself.

- Warren

What is notation?

Notation is a system of symbols, characters, and formatting used to represent mathematical or scientific concepts and equations.

Why is notation important?

Notation allows for clear communication and understanding of complex mathematical and scientific ideas. It also helps to make equations and concepts more concise and easier to read.

What are some common notations used in math and science?

Some common notations include Greek letters, superscripts and subscripts, mathematical operators such as +, -, x, and /, and formatting such as parentheses and brackets.

How do I use notation in my writing or presentation?

To use notation in your writing or presentation, you can use a combination of symbols and formatting tools such as the equation editor in Microsoft Word or LaTeX. It is important to be consistent and clear in your use of notation.

Is there a standard notation for all mathematical and scientific concepts?

No, there is no one standard notation for all concepts. Different fields and disciplines may have their own unique notation conventions, and it is important to be aware of these when communicating with others in the field.