Car negotiating a banked curve - centripetal force

In summary: It sounds like they want you to draw a trajectory for the car at maximum speed with a given coefficient of kinetic friction. Just use the same equations but plug in the new friction coefficient. Remember, the direction of friction will be different for maximum and minimum speeds. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of optimum, maximum, and minimum speeds for a car making a banked curve. The minimum speed can be calculated by considering the conditions under which the car slips down the curve. The direction of friction must be switched in the free body diagram for maximum and minimum speeds. The last question asks for help with drawing the trajectory of the car at maximum speed given a coefficient of kinetic friction.
frasifrasi
Car negotiating a banked curve -- centripetal force

We were asked to calculate the optimum (no friction), maximum, and minimum speeds alowed for a car making a banked curve.

I calculated the optimum and maximum velocities using the provided angle, radius, and coefficient of static firction. But how am i supposed to calculate the minimum speed? Should I set the frictional force in the free body diagram pointing towards the bank(outside of curve)? Any suggestions?

Also, we are asked to draw the trajectory of the car going at maximum speed given a coefficient of kinetic friction. Since the friction equations are the same, should I just plug in this coefficient of kinetic friction in place of the old coefficient of static friction?

lastly, would it be right to set the path going toward the wall, and crasing like I imagine it to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
You say:But how am i supposed to calculate the minimum speed?
You can draw a free body diagram. And then see under what conditions the car slips down the banked curve. After that you can think about minimum velocity that will cause a centrifugal force.

Let's stop the car. If the car is at rest, it means that the minimum velocity is zero. Related with the angle of inclination the car can slip down or does not move. So under the condition of slipping there must be a minimum velocity so that the car does not slip.

I think they mean the minumum velocity for the car not to slip, hence why it cannot be 0. Would it make sense to just switch the direction of friction on the free body diagram?

Also, we are asked to draw the trajectory of the car going at maximum speed given a coefficient of kinetic friction. Since the friction equations are the same, should I just plug in this coefficient of kinetic friction in place of the old coefficient of static friction?

frasifrasi said:
I calculated the optimum and maximum velocities using the provided angle, radius, and coefficient of static firction. But how am i supposed to calculate the minimum speed? Should I set the frictional force in the free body diagram pointing towards the bank(outside of curve)?
The friction force in the case of minimum speed is in one direction (which?) while in the case of maximum speed it is in the opposite direction. Play around with a free body diagram until that clicks.

I said that the direction of friction the maximum velocity was toward the center. If the minimum is the opposite, should it be toward the bank (like i thought)?

Can you confirm this?

Also, can anyone help me with the last questions?

frasifrasi said:
I said that the direction of friction the maximum velocity was toward the center. If the minimum is the opposite, should it be toward the bank (like i thought)?

Can you confirm this?
You are correct. This should make sense. Imagine no friction. If you go too fast, you'll slide up the ramp; too slow, down the ramp. Friction acts to prevent such sliding.

Also, can anyone help me with the last questions?
Not sure what they are looking for.

1. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a turn or bend in a road or track that is designed to have a higher outer edge than the inner edge. This allows vehicles to safely navigate the curve at higher speeds without slipping or skidding off the track.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle. In the case of a car negotiating a banked curve, centripetal force is provided by the friction between the tires and the track, allowing the car to maintain its path around the curve.

3. How does centripetal force affect a car negotiating a banked curve?

Centripetal force allows the car to stay on the curved path without slipping or sliding off. As the car moves around the curve, the centripetal force acts towards the center of the curve, keeping the car in a stable circular motion.

4. What factors affect the centripetal force in a banked curve?

The speed of the car and the angle of the banked curve are the main factors that affect centripetal force in a banked curve. The higher the speed of the car, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep the car on the curved path. Similarly, the steeper the angle of the banked curve, the greater the centripetal force required.

5. How does a car's weight affect its ability to negotiate a banked curve?

The weight of a car can affect its ability to negotiate a banked curve in two ways. First, a heavier car will require more centripetal force to maintain its path around the curve. Second, a heavier car may also experience more friction between its tires and the track, allowing it to negotiate the curve at higher speeds.