How Do Lifeguards' Forces Affect Raft Movement?

In summary, two lifeguards pulling on a raft in the same direction results in a net external force of 357N to the right. Pulling in opposite directions results in a net external force of 127N to the left. The magnitude of the larger force is 242N and the smaller force is 115N.
anglum
Two lifeguards pull on ropes attached to a raft. If they pull in teh same direction, the raft experiences a net external force of 357 N to the right. If they pull in opposite directions the raft experiences a net external force of 127N to the left.

A what is the magnitude of the larger of the two forces?

B what is the magnitude of the smaller of the two forces?

answer in units of N

I tried doing F1=F2 = 357 and F1-F2 = -127

and solved for F1 and F2

F1= 115
F2 = 242

however those answers were incorrect... please help

Physics news on Phys.org
What is one checking against - book or on-line?

Seems correct to me. Did you enter the answers with 242N as the larger and 115N as the smaller?

yeah they were correct I am dumb and entered them in for the wrong assignment GRRRR

learningphysics said:
Seems correct to me. Did you enter the answers with 242N as the larger and 115N as the smaller?
I was wondering about the order of the answers. One has to be careful with online tools.

What is the concept of net external forces?

Net external forces refer to the sum of all the external forces acting on an object. These forces can include gravity, friction, air resistance, and any other external force that is exerted on the object.

How does net external forces affect an object's motion?

Net external forces can either cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or maintain a constant velocity. If the net external force is zero, the object will continue to move at a constant velocity according to Newton's first law of motion.

Can an object have more than one net external force?

Yes, an object can have multiple net external forces acting on it at the same time. In this case, the net external force is the sum of all the individual forces acting on the object.

What is the relationship between net external forces and Newton's second law of motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net external force acting on an object is equal to the object's mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the greater the net external force, the greater the object's acceleration will be.

How can net external forces be calculated and represented?

Net external forces can be calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object. They can be represented using vector diagrams, where the length and direction of the vector represent the magnitude and direction of the net external force.