What is the role of external forces in rocket propulsion?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation dP = P(t+dt) - P(t) = mdv +dmv(ex) (ex=external) and how it can be simplified to mdv=-dmv. The conversation also explores the concept of external forces and how they contribute to the overall momentum of the rocket. It also mentions the use of separation of variables in solving the equation of motion for a rocket subject to external forces.
Oblio
I have this equation:

dP = P(t+dt) - P(t) = mdv +dmv(ex)

(ex=external)

I have to show that that will equal

ma = -ma + F(ex)

(Although in the book, acceleration is shown as the derivative of v, (dotted v)).

In the example I was reading, there are no external forces, so my first equation simply boiled down to mdv=-dmv.
I'm not sure how to substitute in ALL 3 of those momentums above...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
My bad!

Sorry. V(ex) is exhaust speed at which the rocket is ejecting spent fuel, relative to the rocket.

In further reading, I'm not sure about the earlier stage of the first equation I posted...

A rocket is traveling in the positive x with mass m,and velocity v, and ejecting spent fuel at exhaust speed of v(ex) relative to the rocket. Since the rocket is ejecting mass, the rockets mass m is steadily decreasing. At time t, the momentumis P(t) = mv. A short time later at t+dt the rockets mass is m+dm where dm is negative, and its momentum is (m+dm)(v+dv). The fuel ejected in the time dt has mass (-dm) and velocity v-v(ex) relative to the ground. thus the total momentum (rocket plus the fuel just ejected) at t+dt is

P(t+dt)= (m+dm)(v+dv) - dm(v-v(ex)

If dm is already negative, why is it subtracted again?

The mass of propellant being expelled is the source of the force/momentum applied to the rocket, but it also means less mass to be accelerated or subjected to that force.

The remaining propelleant is a mass, in addition to the payload mass, that must be accelerated.

Ah ok.
So the first (m+dm) is the 'cargo' propellant, and the '-dm(v-v(ex)) is my external force?

In one way I think it has to be F (ext) but dm is just v... there's no acceleration in those terms...

when the book has -mdv =dmv (ex) the simplify by dividing both by dt...

but I have -mg = mdv + dmv (ex).

I can't find a way to use separation of variables here...

Although this is done and handed in, I'm still not sure about:

P(t+dt)= (m+dm)(v+dv) - dm(v-v(ex)

is dm(v-vex) my external force?

Can you write the question word for word? I don't understand what you need to prove.

learningphysics said:
Can you write the question word for word? I don't understand what you need to prove.

With the help of the book I completed the question, but didn't understand steps along the way that the book made.

Anyways,

Consider a rocket traveling in a straight line subject to an external force F(ext) acting along the same line. Show that its equation of motion is m[tex]\dot{v}[/tex] = -[tex]\dot{m}[/tex]v(ex) + F(ext).
It says to review the derivation of this:

m[tex]\dot{v}[/tex]=-[tex]\dot{m}[/tex]v (ex) (eqn 3.6)

from

P(t+dt) = (m+dm)(v+dv)-dm(v-v(ex)) = mv+dmv + dmv(ex) (he neglects 'the doubly small product dmdv)

which turns into:

dP=P(t+dt) - P(t) = mdv+dmv(ex) (eqn 3.4) and this turns into 3.6

So that in my case, I am keeping the external force, where they got rid of it to get 3.6.

So I set it up to be:

-mg=mdv +dmv(ex)

In the very beginning,
am I correct in saying that: -dm(v-v(ex)) is my external force?

No. The external force is something generated by some external agent (hence the name), such as the atmosphere. Forces are additive, so you can add the effective force from thrusting and the external force to get the total force.

The external force just equals [tex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/tex]. in your book example external force is 0, hence dP/dt is 0. But in this case external force is nonzero.

P(t+dt) = (m+dm)(v+dv)-dm(v-v(ex))

what IS -dm(v-vex) then?

P=mv, and that exists before this part of the equation..

Oblio said:
P(t+dt) = (m+dm)(v+dv)-dm(v-v(ex))

what IS -dm(v-vex) then?

P=mv, and that exists before this part of the equation..

-dm(v-vex) is the momentum of the exhaust.

P(t+dt) - P(t) = F(ext)*dt

Don't get vex confused with "external"... vex is the velocity of the exhaust relative to the rocket.

1. What is a rocket and how does it work?

A rocket is a vehicle designed to travel through space by using thrust generated by the expulsion of matter. It works by burning a fuel, usually a combination of liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, in a combustion chamber and then expelling the hot gases through a nozzle. This creates a force in the opposite direction, propelling the rocket forward.

2. What external forces affect a rocket's flight?

External forces that affect a rocket's flight include gravity, air resistance, and atmospheric conditions. Gravity pulls the rocket towards the Earth, air resistance slows it down, and atmospheric conditions such as wind can cause it to deviate from its intended path.

3. How does a rocket overcome the force of gravity?

A rocket overcomes the force of gravity by generating enough thrust to propel it upwards. The amount of thrust needed depends on the weight of the rocket and its payload. Once the rocket reaches a certain speed, it can break free from the Earth's gravitational pull and continue its journey into space.

4. Can a rocket maneuver in space without any external forces?

Yes, a rocket can maneuver in space without any external forces. This is because there is no air resistance or gravity in space, so the rocket's thrusters can be used to change its direction and speed without any interference from external forces.

5. What role do external forces play in rocket launches and landings?

External forces play a crucial role in rocket launches and landings. During launch, the rocket must overcome the force of gravity and air resistance to reach space. During landing, the rocket must use external forces such as thrusters and parachutes to slow down and safely return to Earth. Atmospheric conditions and wind also play a role in determining the trajectory of the rocket during both launch and landing.