Potential due to infinite sheet

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the potential V(z) at a height z above an infinite sheet with surface charge density sigma by integrating over the surface. The attempt at a solution involves an integral that does not converge, and the reason for this is because the potential at infinity is not zero. The question asks to obtain the potential by integrating over the surface and to explain why the result is infinity. The conclusion is that the potential is found by the electric field, which is constant for an infinite sheet. However, this contradicts Gauss' law, which is based on the inverse square dependence of Coulomb's law. It is not possible to experience the same force at different distances from the charged sheet.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Calculate the potential V(z), a height z above an infinite sheet with surface charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] by integrating over the surface.

Homework Equations

[tex]V(z)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_s{\frac{\sigma dA}{r}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So [tex]V(z)=\frac{\sigma}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\frac{dx dy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}}
[/tex]

However, unless I am wrong, this integral does not converge.
We know the E-field due a infinite sheet is [tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}[/tex], so the potential should be [tex]V=-\frac{z\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}[/tex], right? So where is the error?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. This integral doesn't converge... the reason is because V=kq/r takes the voltage at infinity = 0... in other words this integral will give you the voltage at z relativie to z=infinity... since the field is constant, this value will be infinite...

[tex]V=-\frac{z\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}[/tex]

takes the voltage to be 0 at the sheet itself...

Do you have to solve the problem using that particular integral? I don't think it is solvable that way...

Maybe the question wants you to derive the field by integrating over the surface... and then just use V = -integral.dz just like you did?

Well the follow up question, is "Use Coulomb's law to calculate the E field above the plane. Compare the electric field to the potential. Why did you get the value you did for the potential?

So it sounds like I'm supposed to get infinity for the potential, and then say it's because the potential at infinity is not zero.

The question specifically says to obtain the potential by integrating over the surface, so I can't think of another way to solve it.

nicksauce said:
Well the follow up question, is "Use Coulomb's law to calculate the E field above the plane. Compare the electric field to the potential. Why did you get the value you did for the potential?

So it sounds like I'm supposed to get infinity for the potential, and then say it's because the potential at infinity is not zero.

Rather if the potential at infinity is 0, then the potential at z is infinite... this makes sense because we have a constant field multiplied by an infinite distance... that'll give infinite voltage...

ie [tex]V_z - V_{infinity} = -\int_{\infty}^z \vec{E}\cdot{\vec{dz}}[/tex]

so [tex]V_z - 0 = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}(infinity - z)[/tex]

so Vz is infinite.

The question specifically says to obtain the potential by integrating over the surface, so I can't think of another way to solve it.

Yeah, I guess they just want you to explain why you get that answer... did they specifically ask you to take potential at infinity to be 0?

Rather if the potential at infinity is 0, then the potential at z is infinite... this makes sense because we have a constant field multiplied by an infinite distance... that'll give infinite voltage...
Err right... I got mixed up a bit there.

did they specifically ask you to take potential at infinity to be 0?
They did not.

Conclusion of the story"potential is found by electric field","electric field of sheet(which is found by gauss` law) is constant"and "gauss` law is totally based upon inverse square dependence of coulomb`s law",which implies that coulomb`s law is not obeyed(as said in gauss` theory).More-over it not possible to experience same force due to electric field just few mm away and meters away from charged sheet.

1. What is an infinite sheet?

An infinite sheet is a theoretical sheet that extends infinitely in two dimensions. It is often used in physics and mathematics as a simplified model for certain phenomena.

2. How is potential calculated due to an infinite sheet?

The potential due to an infinite sheet is calculated using the formula V = σ/2ε0, where V is the potential, σ is the surface charge density of the sheet, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the direction of the electric field due to an infinite sheet?

The electric field due to an infinite sheet is always perpendicular to the sheet and points away from the sheet on one side and towards the sheet on the other side.

4. Can the potential due to an infinite sheet ever be zero?

No, the potential due to an infinite sheet is never zero. It approaches zero as the distance from the sheet increases, but it never actually reaches zero.

5. What are some real-world examples of the potential due to an infinite sheet?

One example is the electric potential due to a large, charged metal plate. Another example is the gravitational potential due to an infinitely thin disk of mass, such as a galaxy or a planetary system.