Advice on Learning Advanced Mathematics

In summary, for someone studying the mathematics of finance on their own, it is important to have a strong intuitive understanding and read from a variety of sources to gain different perspectives. It is also recommended to do additional research and not solely rely on lecture material. Starting with probability and combinatorics is a good foundation, and finding a readable book with engaging exercises can be helpful.
Inquisitor
As a philosophy student, I never went beyond Calculus. Since completing my studies, I began trading equities and derivative products. I've made efforts to study the mathematical aspects of finance, but lack the preparation to really understand the subject. Some of the required mathematics, is simply way over my head.

What advice would you give to someone studying the mathematics of finance on their own? What books? Any websites? I don't plan on going back to school for additional training. Any help would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm majoring in both philosophy and maths, and I've always taken a philosophical approach to mathematics. Mathematics is a very creative subject, so having a strong intuitive understanding is important. That's why I think it's important to read a lot. Different teachers and textbooks will prove theorems and describe maths in different ways. Getting a multitude of perspectives helps you understand what is going on.

I've never studied mathematics by just going to class and then trying to do exercises and assignments purely by what the lecturer says. Often there are better ways to do things, and it's good to do some research and find out these other ways. I don't think mathematics is about having a problem and being very insular in the way you try to solve it.

I don't know much about the mathematics of finance, and I've just been rambling, but I hope that you find something worthwhile in what I've said.

With the caveat that I have not actually studied much financial math, I recommend that you start with some work in probability and combinatorics. If you are comfortable with calculus, you will pick it up easily enough, and I think it will come in handy as your studies focus on wherever your interests may take you.

That said, recommending a book is a much different story. The is a wide spectrum of such books, ranging from too simple to too much. I have an interesting looking book called 'Probability Through Problems', where you work out all of the important theorems and applications as excercises (solutions are given). I have not looked too deeply, but this book may be a good place to start if you intend to learn yourself.

Otherwise, just browse for a book which looks readable, and one in which the excercises look interesting (because you want to do as many of them as possible).

1. What are some tips for studying advanced mathematics?

1. Start by building a strong foundation in basic math concepts. Advanced math builds upon these foundational skills, so it's important to have a solid understanding of them.

2. Practice regularly and consistently. Math is a subject that requires constant practice to truly master.

3. Seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups, to supplement your learning.

4. Break down complex concepts into smaller, manageable pieces. This will help you better understand and retain the material.

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Your classmates, teachers, and tutors are all valuable resources for clarifying any confusion or difficulty you may have.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in advanced math?

1. Start by understanding the problem. Make sure you know exactly what is being asked and what information is given.

2. Develop a plan or strategy for solving the problem. This could involve breaking it down into smaller parts, using a formula or equation, or drawing a diagram.

3. Practice using different problem-solving techniques and strategies. The more you practice, the more familiar you will become with different types of problems.

4. Analyze your mistakes. When you make a mistake, take the time to understand where you went wrong and how you can improve for next time.

5. Stay organized and take notes. Keeping track of your thought process and steps taken to solve a problem can help you identify any areas for improvement.

3. What are some effective study habits for learning advanced math?

1. Set a schedule and stick to it. Consistency is key when it comes to studying math.

2. Find a quiet and distraction-free study space. This will help you stay focused and minimize interruptions.

3. Take breaks when needed. It's important to give your brain a rest and come back to the material with a fresh mind.

4. Use flashcards or other memory aids to help retain important formulas and concepts.

5. Practice with old tests or quizzes to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked.

4. How can I make advanced math more interesting and engaging?

1. Try to relate the material to real-life situations. This can help make the concepts more tangible and relevant.

2. Experiment with different learning methods, such as visual aids, hands-on activities, or interactive online tools.

3. Challenge yourself with problems that require critical thinking and creativity.

4. Connect with other students or join a study group to discuss and share ideas.

5. Set goals and reward yourself when you reach them to stay motivated and engaged.

5. What are some resources for practicing advanced math outside of class?

1. Khan Academy offers a wide range of free online math courses and practice problems.

2. Many textbooks have accompanying workbooks or online resources with extra practice problems.

3. Websites like MathisFun and Brilliant provide interactive math games and puzzles to help improve problem-solving skills.

4. Joining a math club or attending math workshops or conferences can provide additional practice and networking opportunities.

5. Utilize online forums or study groups to discuss and practice advanced math problems with other students.