Calculating Final Velocity for a Dropped Golf Ball

In summary, the equation used to find the velocity of a golf ball dropped from a height of 78m is v^2=u^2+2ax, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and x is the displacement. After plugging in the given values, the correct answer is 14.0 m/s. It is important to understand the physical meaning of the formula, rather than just plugging in values. The mistake made in this scenario was forgetting to take the square root of the answer, leading to incorrect results.
maca_404
Question is a golf ball is dropped from a height of 78m assuming gravity is 9.8 m s, What is the velocity of the ball after the first 10m.

I assume the equation to use is [tex]v^2=u^2+2ax[/tex]

v = Final velocity
u = Initial Velocity
a = Acceleration
x = Displacement

So I plug in [tex]v^2 = 0+2(9.8ms)(10.0)[/tex]

Now according to the answer sheet V should be 14.0 m s but no matter how I plug this in I can't seem to get the right answer.

I think the problem is the way I am actually doing the math so if someone could perhaps step threw the maths so I can see where I went wrong.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
you shoudnt only learn about plugging values into the formula, you should learn the physical meaning of the formula! THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT I got 14 using the EXACT equation above, I believe you have made a careless mistake.

No, no one can possibly tell you what you did wrong, because you haven't told us what you did! The equation you have, v2= 2*9.8*10 is correct and gives v= 14 m/s. Apparently you made a mistake in the arithmetic, although it seems rather elementary to me! Since you didn't show what you did or tell us what answers you got, I can't tell if it was something as simple as forgetting to take the square root.

Solved

How embarrassing, oerg you where spot on I forgot to take the square of the answer I think I have been working at this too long tonight :rolleyes:.

Thanks Again

What is the formula for calculating final velocity?

The formula for calculating final velocity is v = u + at, where v stands for final velocity, u stands for initial velocity, a stands for acceleration, and t stands for time.

What is the difference between final velocity and initial velocity?

Final velocity is the velocity of an object at the end of its motion, while initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion.

How do you calculate final velocity when acceleration is not constant?

If acceleration is not constant, you can use the formula v = u + (a + a0)t/2, where a0 is the initial acceleration and t is the time taken.

What unit is used to measure final velocity?

The unit used to measure final velocity is meters per second (m/s) in the SI system or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

Can final velocity be negative?

Yes, final velocity can be negative if the object is decelerating (slowing down) or if it is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.