Force Required to Push a Wire

In summary: The answer should be 1.25 A, not 1.25 * 10^2 A.In summary, a 10-cm-wide, zero-resistance slide wire is pushed towards a 2.0Ω resistor at a steady speed of 0.50 m/s with a magnetic field strength of 0.50 T. The pushing force is calculated to be 6.25 * 10^-4 N and the power supplied by the pushing force is 3.125 * 10^4 W. The magnitude of the induced current is found to be 1.25 A and the power dissipated in the resistor is also determined to be 3.125 * 10^4 W.
cse63146

Homework Statement

The 10-cm-wide, zero-resistance slide wire shown in the figure is pushed toward the 2.0[tex]\Omega[/tex]resistor at a steady speed of 0.50 m/s. The magnetic field strength is 0.50 T.

knight_Figure_33_44.jpg

A) How big is the pushing force?
B) How much power does the pushing force supply to the wire?
C) What is the magnitude of the induced current?
D) How much power is dissipated in the resistor?

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{push} = \frac{v L^2 B^2}{R}[/tex]

[tex]P_{input} = F_{push}*v = \frac{v^2 L^2 B^2}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A) [tex]F_{push} = \frac{v L^2 B^2}{R} = \frac{(0.5) (0.1)^2 (0.5)^2}{2} = 6.25 * 10^{-4} N[/tex]

B) [tex]P_{input} = F_{push}*v = \frac{v^2 L^2 B^2}{R} = \frac{(0.5)^2 (0.1)^2 (0.5)^2}{2} = 3.125 * 10^4 W[/tex]

C) [tex]I = \frac{vLB}{R} = \frac{(0.5)((0.1)(0.5)}{2} = 1.25 * 10^2 A[/tex]

D) [tex]P_{dissipated} = P_{input} = 3.125 * 10^4 W[/tex]

Did I make any mistakes?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am working on exactly same one.

I used I=E/R=(vLB)/R equation to solve C, and had 0.0125A or 1.25*10^-2

but they said it's not quite. :-(

Anyway, there is another question: What is the direction of the induced current?

I know I need to use the right hand rule but can't apply it right.

Is it clockwise or counterclockwise? anyone can explain?

The induced current opposes the change in magnetic flux through the loop. As you push the bar to the right you are decreasing the amount of "out of the page" magnetic field so the loop creates a current that would result in MORE magnetic field "out of the page".

Put your hand in the "thumbs up" position and point your thumb in the direction of the magnetic field you want to create...right now, "out of the page". The direction your fingers curl is the direction of the induced current. (ie along your fingers towards your fingernails.

man, still confused with "out of the page"

but.. okay. somewhat got it...

Still, nobody for part C ?

dmsgo89, I'm pretty sure your answer for C is correct, or is at least the answer I got. Check your significant figures though.

1. What is the force required to push a wire?

The force required to push a wire is dependent on several factors such as the material of the wire, its diameter, and the surface it is being pushed against. In general, the force required to push a wire will increase as the wire's diameter increases.

2. How does the surface affect the force required to push a wire?

The surface the wire is being pushed against can greatly impact the force required. Rough or uneven surfaces will require more force to push a wire compared to smooth surfaces. This is because the wire must overcome more friction as it moves across the surface.

3. Is there a formula for calculating the force required to push a wire?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the force required to push a wire. It is F = μN, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction between the wire and the surface, and N is the normal force exerted on the wire.

4. How does the diameter of the wire affect the force required to push it?

The diameter of the wire has a direct impact on the force required to push it. As the diameter increases, the force required also increases. This is because a thicker wire has a larger surface area, resulting in more friction and requiring more force to push it.

5. Can the force required to push a wire be reduced?

Yes, the force required to push a wire can be reduced by using a lubricant on the surface it is being pushed against. This reduces the friction between the wire and the surface, making it easier to push. Additionally, reducing the diameter of the wire can also decrease the force required to push it.