Calculate Velocity to Reach Target: Sx=15000m, Sy=400m

• Thread starter confusednic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, to calculate the initial velocity of a shell fired at an elevation of 60 degrees from horizontal to reach a target at Sx=15000m and Sy=400m, you can use the equations Ax=0, Ay=-g, Vx=V cos 60, and Vy=-gt+V sin 30. However, when substituting for t in the Sy formula, be sure to square t and use the correct trig functions. The final formula should be Sy=((-gt^2)/2)+V*t*cos30.
confusednic
[SOLVED] Calculating Velocity

A shell is fired at an elevation of 60degrees from horizontal, it needs to reach a target
Sx=15000m, Sy = 400m. What is the initial velocity of the shell?

So far I have done this...
Ax=0 Ay=-g
Vx=V cos 60 Vy=-gt+V sin 30
Sx=V cos 60 t Sy=((-gt^2)/2)+sin 30

I've tried to work from here (using Sx to find t=15000/Vcos60, then substitute that into Sy formula) but I've been getting a negative number which can't be right.
Could someone show me the working or give me any help at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are correct (except for a missing V in Sy=.

Your methodology should work as-well, you must be getting a negative from taking the wrong square root, or something about the trig functions.

Thanks Izkelley
So I've done this...
400= (-9.8/2)(15000/Vcos60)+Vsin30

Is that the correct?

The initial vertical velocity component is not Vsin30.

Sy=1/2at^2+ut. So the second term on the right hand side of your equation should be multiplied by t and you need to square t in the first term.

damn yeah, sorry.
the sin30's should be sin60 also (same angle opposite trig function) or cos30's (same trig function opposite angle --- sin30 = cos60, sin60=cos30 ).
and not only is Sy missing a V, its missing a t i.e.
Sy=((-gt^2)/2)+V*t*cos30

1. How can I calculate the velocity needed to reach a target at a specific distance and height?

To calculate the velocity needed to reach a target at a specific distance and height, you can use the formula: V = √(2g(Sy + Sx tanθ)), where V is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, Sy is the vertical distance, Sx is the horizontal distance, and θ is the angle of launch.

2. What is the value of g in the formula for calculating velocity to reach a target?

The value of g in the formula is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth. However, this value may vary slightly depending on the location and altitude.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the velocity needed to reach a target?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the velocity needed to reach a target. As the angle increases, the horizontal distance (Sx) also increases, resulting in a higher velocity needed to cover the distance. On the other hand, a lower angle will result in a shorter horizontal distance and a lower velocity needed.

4. Can this formula be used for any target distance and height?

Yes, this formula can be used for any target distance and height. However, it assumes that there is no air resistance and the launch is done on a flat surface.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate the velocity to reach a target?

There are other simplified equations that can be used to calculate the velocity needed to reach a target, such as the time of flight formula (V = Sx/t) or the range formula (V = Sx/√(2h/g)), where t is the time of flight and h is the maximum height. However, these equations also have certain assumptions and may not be as accurate as the original formula.