Ice Cube Floating: Help with Bouyancy Question!

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of what will happen to the water level when an ice cube in a glass of water melts. It is determined that the water level will stay the same, as the volume of water displaced by the melting ice is equal to the volume of the ice itself. This is due to the fact that ice is less dense as a solid, causing it to take up more space than the liquid water of the same mass. It is also noted that the density of ice is less than that of water, and that the volume of melted ice will take up the space of the displaced water, resulting in no change in the water level.
habibclan
Hi!
I'm new to the forums and this is the first that I'm posting something :D!
I have a quick question from my textbook that I got wrong. Can someone please help me out! Thanks in advance!

Question: An ice cube is floating in a glass of water that is filled entirely to the brim. When the ice cube melts, the water level will

a. fall
b. stay the same, right at the brim
c. rise, causing the water to spill.

Apparently, the key word is floating which has to do with bouyancy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey man

It's actually not too hard of a question and yes floating is a key word. Because ice floats it means that it is less dense as a solid than a liquid. This means that the solid ice takes up more space than the liquid water of the same mass. So if the solid melts into a liquid it would take up less space and therefore the water amount would drop.

Side note if interested:
The less dense structure of ice is because of hydrogen bonding that takes place. This hydrogen bonding causes the ice to form octagon structures which have a lot of open spaces between them causing them to be less dense than liquid water.

jcs655 said:
So if the solid melts into a liquid it would take up less space and therefore the water amount would drop.

What about ice that was sticking above the water?

What is the mass of displaced water? How does it relate to the mass of ice? What volume will be occupied by the water from the melted ice?

jcs655 said:
Hey man

It's actually not too hard of a question and yes floating is a key word. Because ice floats it means that it is less dense as a solid than a liquid. This means that the solid ice takes up more space than the liquid water of the same mass. So if the solid melts into a liquid it would take up less space and therefore the water amount would drop.

Apparently it is hard since the level would NOT drop.

CS

simple use of archimedes' principle.
When the ice is put in water, it displaces water equal in volume to itself .
Now as it melts, it turns to water, so the level of water should increase, but at the same time, the volume of ice submerged is decreasing, so the volume of water displaced will decrease, and the water level should fall. This increase and decrease effect nullify and the water level remains constant.

Thank you so much! Indeed, the water level stays the same but I just didn't understand why! I really appreciate it!

Think this way: piece of ice displaced water. Mass of the displaced water was identical with the mass of ice. When the ice melts, mass of the water from melting doesn't change. What changes is the volume - but the volume of the water from melted ice is identical to the volume diplaced (why? because it is water, so one from melting has exactly the same density as the one displaced). So you have removed some volume and then you have added identical volume - and total volume didn't change.

Isn't the density of ice less than the density of water? I thought of it this way, ice is submerged partly in water as it is floating--lets say 3/4. So when that whole ice - 1 ice melts, the volume of melted ice (water) is 3/4 that of one ice, which takes the space of the displaced volume of water, hence level doesn't change. Am I right?

What is the concept of buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid, such as water, on an object placed within it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

Why do ice cubes float in water?

Ice cubes float in water because they are less dense than the water they displace. This is due to the fact that ice is less compact and has more air trapped within it compared to liquid water.

How does the shape of the ice cube affect buoyancy?

The shape of the ice cube can affect buoyancy if it has a different density than a regular cube. For example, a hollow ice cube with air inside will have a lower density and therefore float higher in the water compared to a solid ice cube.

Does the temperature of the water affect the buoyancy of ice cubes?

Yes, the temperature of the water can affect the buoyancy of ice cubes. As the temperature of the water increases, the density of the water decreases, making it easier for the ice cube to displace it and float higher.

What is the relationship between buoyancy and the weight of an object?

The weight of an object affects its buoyancy as it determines the amount of force needed to displace the fluid and stay afloat. A heavier object will require a greater upward force from the fluid to offset its weight and float.