APL Latex Template File - Get Ready for Publication

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter onstandby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files Latex
In summary, Revtex4 is too complex for someone without experience in using it. If you do have experience using it, then you can use the source files to create your own template.
onstandby
Hi all,

I am planning to publish in APL (Applied Physics Letters). However, the RevTEX4 package that I downloaded from the website is too complex and you cannot choose APL from the journals.

Does any of you have a template file for APL journal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Revtex4 is the standard submission style for several journals. In what sense is it too complex?

Why not find a preprint on arXiv that was later published in Applied Physics Letters and use its source files as a template? For example, go to http://arxiv.org/format/0802.1894v2", download the source to that paper, and replace the text with your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
las3rjock said:
Why not find a preprint on arXiv that was later published in Applied Physics Letters and use its source files as a template? For example, go to http://arxiv.org/format/0802.1894v2", download the source to that paper, and replace the text with your own.

Course, if you don't have revtex4 installed on your machine, then you won't be able to compile the file. If you do, then I don't see the need to steal the template, to be honest, since it's just a normal latex document..

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo said:
Course, if you don't have revtex4 installed on your machine, then you won't be able to compile the file. If you do, then I don't see the need to steal the template, to be honest, since it's just a normal latex document..
That's kinda what I figured, too, but onstandby seems to be a little gunshy. If nothing else, he can use the source to make sure he installed/installs revtex correctly.

APL is using a very old-fashioned way of editing.
As far as I know there is no Latex template that can be used to format a document into something similar to what will be published. You can of course use Revtex but even then there is no way to e.g. accurately check the length of the paper (which is a real problem since APL papers are only 3 pages long) meaning they might send you a draft with a message attached saying it is too long.

I co-authored a paper for APL earlier this summer and it was a real pain (it turned out to be much too long, mainly because whoever was doing the layout likes very big graphs);it is much easier to write papers for e.g. APS journals such as PRL.

1. What is an APL Latex Template File?

An APL Latex Template File is a document that provides a predefined layout and formatting for writing and formatting academic articles and papers according to the guidelines of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL). It is a useful tool for researchers and scientists to ensure their work is properly formatted for publication.

2. How do I use the APL Latex Template File?

To use the APL Latex Template File, you will need to have a Latex editor installed on your computer. Once you have downloaded the template file, open it with the Latex editor and start filling in your content. The template file provides instructions and guidelines for formatting your text, figures, tables, and references. You can also customize the template to fit the specific requirements of your publication.

3. Can I use the APL Latex Template File for any publication?

The APL Latex Template File is specifically designed for publications in the fields of computing and linguistics, following the guidelines of ACM and ACL. It may not be suitable for publications in other fields or with different formatting requirements. It is always best to check with the specific publication guidelines to ensure proper formatting.

4. Is the APL Latex Template File free to use?

Yes, the APL Latex Template File is free to download and use for academic and non-commercial purposes. However, please note that it is not an official template from ACM or ACL, and the use of the template does not guarantee acceptance of your paper for publication.

5. Can I make changes to the APL Latex Template File?

Yes, you can customize the template to fit your specific needs and the requirements of your publication. However, it is important to ensure that your changes still adhere to the guidelines of ACM and ACL to avoid any formatting errors or issues with the publication process.