How Do You Express Vector C in Terms of A, B, and Theta?

In summary, to express vector C in terms of A, B, and theta, develop equations for the x and y components of A and B and use them to eliminate any functions of the angle phi, leaving the equation in terms of theta.
swooshfactory

Homework Statement

41119_b.jpg

The question asks to express vector C in terms of A, B, and theta.

Homework Equations

I would guess the relevant equations to be trig equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found sin[(180-theta)/2] = k/B (k is a variable I set to equal the right bisected part of C when the angle c was divided in two). Also, sin[(180-theta)/2]= j/A.

c= 180 - theta. After that however, I don't know how to incorporate theta without using phi. Can you assume that a line stretching from the angle to to make a right angle with vector C bisects the angle into two equal angles? That was how I attempted to solve the problem, but I'm not sure if that works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
swooshfactory said:
The question asks to express vector C in terms of A, B, and theta.

Homework Equations

I would guess the relevant equations to be trig equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found sin[(180-theta)/2] = k/B (k is a variable I set to equal the right bisected part of C when the angle c was divided in two). Also, sin[(180-theta)/2]= j/A.

c= 180 - theta. After that however, I don't know how to incorporate theta without using phi. Can you assume that a line stretching from the angle to to make a right angle with vector C bisects the angle into two equal angles? That was how I attempted to solve the problem, but I'm not sure if that works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think you are letting your trigonometry get ahead of your vector addition.

I would suggest developing equations for the x and y components of A and B that would serve to yield C.

For simplicity I might suggest letting C lie along the x-axis. Then you know the y-components of the A and B vectors must sum to 0 and the x will sum to C.

From those equations then look to eliminate any functions of the angle ϕ and leave things in terms of θ.

Last edited:

To express vector C in terms of A, B, and theta, you can use the law of cosines, which states that the length of a side of a triangle can be found using the lengths of the other two sides and the cosine of the included angle. In this case, vector C can be expressed as:

C = √(A^2 + B^2 - 2ABcosθ)

Where θ is the angle between vectors A and B. This equation can be derived by drawing a triangle with sides A, B, and C, and using the law of cosines to find the length of side C.

Alternatively, you can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of vector C, as it forms a right triangle with sides A and B. This method would give the same result as the law of cosines.

I am not sure how you arrived at the equations you mentioned in your solution attempt. It is important to carefully consider the given information and use the appropriate equations and concepts to solve the problem. I would suggest reviewing the concepts of trigonometry and vector operations to better understand the problem and find a correct solution.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

How do you find the length of a vector?

The length of a vector, also known as its magnitude, can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. Alternatively, you can use the distance formula if the vector's components are given in terms of coordinates.

What is the difference between vector length and vector magnitude?

The terms "vector length" and "vector magnitude" are often used interchangeably and refer to the same concept. However, some mathematicians make a distinction between the two, with vector length being the actual physical length of the vector and vector magnitude being the value that represents the vector's size.

Can the length of a vector be negative?

No, the length of a vector is always a positive value. This is because it represents the distance from the origin to the tip of the vector, and distance is always a positive quantity.

What is the unit of measurement for vector length?

The unit of measurement for vector length depends on the context in which it is used. In physics, vector length is often measured in meters (m), while in mathematics it is commonly measured in units of length (e.g. inches, feet, etc.). It is important to specify the unit of measurement when talking about vector length to avoid confusion.