Magnetic Force on a Power line

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of the magnetic force exerted on a 251 m length of wire with a current of 106 A, in a location where the Earth's magnetic field has a magnitude of 57.1 µT and points north, 71.9° below the horizontal. The formula used is F=I*L*B*sin(theta), and the answer is found to be 0.47198 N. However, there is confusion about the angle needed for the calculation, and it is determined that the given angle is not necessary for finding the magnitude of the force.
Dopefish1337

Homework Statement

A high-voltage power line carries a current of 106 A at a location where the Earth's magnetic field has a magnitude of 57.1 µT and points north, 71.9° below the horizontal. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic force exerted on a 251 m length of wire if the current in the wire flows horizontally east.

Homework Equations

F=I*L*B*sin(theta) (magnitudes)

The Attempt at a Solution

106*251*57.1*10-6*sin(18.1)= 0.47198 N

However, the system says I'm wrong. Is the computer at fault here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dopefish1337 said:

Homework Statement

A high-voltage power line carries a current of 106 A at a location where the Earth's magnetic field has a magnitude of 57.1 µT and points north, 71.9° below the horizontal. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic force exerted on a 251 m length of wire if the current in the wire flows horizontally east.

Homework Equations

F=I*L*B*sin(theta) (magnitudes)

The Attempt at a Solution

106*251*57.1*10-6*sin(18.1)= 0.47198 N

However, the system says I'm wrong. Is the computer at fault here?

I'd take a closer look at the angle. The power line is east west. The magnetic field lines are north south aren't they?

As far as I can tell, the field lines aren't exactly north south, hence the 71.9 degrees below horizontal. The field lines would then be angled sortof like "\", with direction being towards the upper end, versus the current in the wire shaped like "-" with the current going right(east). The angle between them looks like it would be 90+18.1=108.1 degrees.

However, using that angle, the resultant answer is 1.44 N, which is also incorrect. However, that was the correct answer to an otherwise identical question except where the current flowed directly south, which is where I figured I should be able to just subtract 90 degrees to get the new answer, hence my use of 18.1 degrees earlier.

Dopefish1337 said:
As far as I can tell, the field lines aren't exactly north south, hence the 71.9 degrees below horizontal. The field lines would then be angled sortof like "\", with direction being towards the upper end, versus the current in the wire shaped like "-" with the current going right(east). The angle between them looks like it would be 90+18.1=108.1 degrees.

However, using that angle, the resultant answer is 1.44 N, which is also incorrect. However, that was the correct answer to an otherwise identical question except where the current flowed directly south, which is where I figured I should be able to just subtract 90 degrees to get the new answer, hence my use of 18.1 degrees earlier.

I understand the angle with the horizontal, but that is up and down. Which direction are the magnetic field lines directed in the N-S-E-W plane? Given that Earth has a North pole and South Pole wouldn't you think that N-S is the direction of the lines, in addition of course at that locale that it is 71.9° with the horizontal?

Well yes...Does this suggest that the angle given is unneeded for this question?

Dopefish1337 said:
Well yes...Does this suggest that the angle given is unneeded for this question?

What is the direction of v then? E-W? And B is N-S? So ...

Now when you do your q*v X B, you will get a vector for the Lorentz force that is directed normal to the B field and that means you need the angle it makes with the horizon to determine direction, but isn't the question what is the |F|?

Thanks, got it now.

1. What is magnetic force on a power line?

The magnetic force on a power line is a force exerted on the power line by a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current flowing through the power line.

2. How does magnetic force affect power lines?

Magnetic force can cause power lines to vibrate and can also cause power lines to sway or even break if the force is strong enough. This can lead to power outages and potential safety hazards.

3. What causes magnetic force on power lines?

Magnetic force on power lines is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field generated by the flow of electricity through the power line and the Earth's magnetic field. It can also be influenced by nearby power lines or other sources of magnetic fields.

4. How can magnetic force on power lines be reduced?

One way to reduce magnetic force on power lines is by increasing the distance between power lines and other sources of magnetic fields, such as other power lines or electrical equipment. Another way is by using materials with low magnetic permeability for power line construction.

5. What are the potential hazards of magnetic force on power lines?

The potential hazards of magnetic force on power lines include power outages, damage to power lines, and potential safety hazards for those working on or near power lines. Strong magnetic forces can also interfere with electronic equipment and devices in the surrounding area.