Curvature using exterior differential forms

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of curvature using exterior differential forms, specifically in cases where the metric has off-diagonal terms. The question is whether the "guess and check" method can still be used or if the systematic way is necessary. The speaker also mentions using the exterior calculus to calculate the Ricci tensor and references an article by Charles Misner for more information.
emma83
Hello,

I have a question related to the calculation of curvature using exterior differential forms (Misner, pp. 354-363). In all the examples given in the book (i.e. Friedmann, Schwarzschild, pulsating star metrics), the "guess and check" method used to find the connection forms (Eq. (14.31)) work well because the metric has only diagonal terms [tex]g_{nn}[/tex], so an orthonormal basis such as the one given in Eq. (1) in Box 14.5 (p. 355) can be derived in a straightforward manner from the components of the metric.

Now is there any chance to apply this method when there are also off-diagonal terms ([tex]g_{mn}, m \neq n[/tex]), or is one then compelled to use the systematic way (Eq. (14.32) and (14.33)) ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
emma83 said:
Hello,

I have a question related to the calculation of curvature using exterior differential forms (Misner, pp. 354-363). In all the examples given in the book (i.e. Friedmann, Schwarzschild, pulsating star metrics), the "guess and check" method used to find the connection forms (Eq. (14.31)) work well because the metric has only diagonal terms [tex]g_{nn}[/tex], so an orthonormal basis such as the one given in Eq. (1) in Box 14.5 (p. 355) can be derived in a straightforward manner from the components of the metric.

Now is there any chance to apply this method when there are also off-diagonal terms ([tex]g_{mn}, m \neq n[/tex]), or is one then compelled to use the systematic way (Eq. (14.32) and (14.33)) ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I don't know if this will help you, or not, but I used the exterior calculus to calculate the Ricci tensor, and thus the source free Einstein's equations in my Ph.D. thesis a long time ago. Charles Misner published an article in 1962 in the Journal of Math Physics in the appendix of which he gave a very nice description of the procedure. I always thought his version there was more clear than the procedure given in MTW. I will look in my attic and see if I can find my copy of the article and post the exact reference.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The "guess and check" method using exterior differential forms is a useful tool for calculating curvature in certain cases, as you have mentioned. However, when dealing with metrics that have off-diagonal terms, it may not be as effective and may require the use of the systematic method. This is because the orthonormal basis derived from the components of the metric may not accurately reflect the curvature of the space in the presence of off-diagonal terms. Therefore, it is recommended to use the systematic method (Eq. (14.32) and (14.33)) to ensure accurate calculations of curvature.

Additionally, the systematic method allows for a more general approach that can be applied to any metric, regardless of its form. So while the "guess and check" method may work well for certain cases, the systematic method is a more reliable and comprehensive approach. I hope this helps clarify your question. Thank you for your interest in exterior differential forms and their applications in calculating curvature.

1. What are exterior differential forms?

Exterior differential forms are mathematical objects used in differential geometry to represent geometric concepts such as tangent spaces, curves, surfaces, and volumes. They are a generalization of the concept of a differential form, and are particularly useful in the study of curvature.

2. How are exterior differential forms used to study curvature?

In differential geometry, curvature is a measure of how much a geometric object deviates from being flat. Exterior differential forms are used to study curvature by providing a way to express and calculate it in a coordinate-independent manner. They allow for the calculation of curvature without relying on a specific coordinate system or basis.

3. What is the relationship between exterior differential forms and the curvature tensor?

The curvature tensor is a geometric object that measures the curvature of a space in terms of how geodesics (paths of shortest distance) deviate from being straight lines. Exterior differential forms are used to express the components of the curvature tensor in a coordinate-independent way, making it easier to calculate and understand.

4. Can exterior differential forms be used to study curvature in higher dimensions?

Yes, exterior differential forms can be used to study curvature in any number of dimensions. In fact, the concept of curvature using exterior differential forms is particularly useful in higher dimensions, as it allows for the calculation of curvature in spaces that cannot be visualized in three dimensions.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying curvature using exterior differential forms?

Yes, there are many practical applications of studying curvature using exterior differential forms. For example, it is used in physics to describe the curvature of spacetime in general relativity, and in computer graphics to model curved surfaces in 3D objects. It is also used in engineering to design curved structures such as bridges and tunnels, and in biology to understand the curvature of biological shapes and structures.