Difference between voltage and voltage drop?

In summary, in order to calculate the amount of power wasted in a power station delivering 440 kW through 3 ohm lines at 12000V, you must use the formula P=I^2R, where I is the current through the line. This will give you the power lost directly, rather than using the voltage drop across the line.
VenaCava

Homework Statement

A power station delivers 440 kW of power through 3 ohm lines. How much power is wasted if it is delievered at 12000v?

Homework Equations

v=IR
P=I^2R
P=IV

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe you are supposed to solve it like this but I do not understand why:

I=P/V = 440000/12000=36.67 A
P lost =I^2R=(36.67)^2 (3) = 4033 W

But my gut instict tells me to do this which I believe is wrong from what I've read:

P=V^2/R = (12000)^2/3 = 4.8 x 10^7 W
P lost = P - Pused = (4.8 x 10^7 - 440000) =4.756 x 10^7W

I think I'm getting confused with what "V" is. I keep googling it and all I can tell is that I don't understand the different between voltage and voltage drop. I'm not clear what either is. Could anyone please explain?

Why does P=I^2R give you the power lost rather than the original power (440 kW) or the power used?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot talk about voltage at a single point, you can only talk about a change in voltage. You'll notice that V = Ed, this is the difference in potential between the distance d.Power is a change in energy and obvious way to look at it is to say that if there is a change in energy it has to be a negative since the resistor will heat up.

VenaCava said:
But my gut instict tells me to do this which I believe is wrong from what I've read:

P=V^2/R = (12000)^2/3 = 4.8 x 10^7 W
P lost = P - Pused = (4.8 x 10^7 - 440000) =4.756 x 10^7W

No you are wrong. You cannot use V=12000V for calculating power loss [itex] P_{loss}[/itex] in line. You have use the voltage drop across the line to find [itex] P_{loss}[/itex].
Since we don't know that, (It is equal to difference between voltage at supply end ([itex] V_{s}[/itex]) and voltage at load end (12000V). Since we don't know [itex] V_{s}[/itex], but we know current through the line, we can find power lost directly from the relation
[itex] P_{loss}=I^{2}R[/tex]

1. What is the difference between voltage and voltage drop?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, whereas voltage drop is the decrease in voltage across a component in the same circuit.

2. How are voltage and voltage drop related?

Voltage and voltage drop are directly related, as voltage drop is a result of the flow of current through a component, which causes a decrease in voltage across that component.

3. Why is voltage drop important to consider in electrical circuits?

Voltage drop is important to consider in electrical circuits because it can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the circuit. Excessive voltage drop can lead to equipment malfunction or failure, and can also cause a decrease in power supply to connected devices.

4. What factors can cause voltage drop?

Voltage drop can be caused by a variety of factors, including the resistance of the wire or component, the length of the wire, the amount of current flowing through the circuit, and the type of material used in the circuit.

5. How can voltage drop be measured or calculated?

Voltage drop can be measured with a voltmeter by taking the difference in voltage between two points in the circuit. It can also be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance of the circuit.