How Can I Optimize Mirror Rotation for Vertical Sunlight Reflection?

In summary, a Sun Reflector and Tracer is a scientific instrument used to reflect and track the movement of the sun. It works by reflecting the sun's rays onto a specific target and has various applications such as solar power generation and scientific research. It is different from a solar panel and can be used for indoor applications if there is a direct source of sunlight.
Mansouri
Hello everybody,
I have made a sun reflecting system with sun tracer. I want to reflect sun rays into patio of a building with about 20 meter high. I have installed the system on the roof, opposite the sun and on th edge of the patio.
I have used light sensors and have put them opposit to the mirror. This will cause that mirror moves in up-down or left-right side to adjust itself in such a position which all reflected rays go to patio.
I have to say that I have used a convex mirror, 2 motors for up-down and left-right movement and 1 moto for clock -unter clockwise rotation in the system.

At noon which sun shines directly from the south side,azimuth 180, mirror has zero left-right angel and according to the sun altitude it may have positive, zero or negative angle to up-down.

The problem raises up when azimuth is not about 180. For example when azimuth is 120 and altitude is 30, system adjusts himself with -10 to down and -30 to left side.
In this situation reflected rays do not refect vertically but inclined.

To bring inclined reflected rays vertically I rotate mirror clockwise in the morning and unterclockwise after noons.

Now the question: I do not know how much should I rotate the mirro which everytime all reflected ray be vertically.

http://www.sns-solar.com/images/product/large/noorgir.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your sun reflecting system with us. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought and effort into designing and installing it.

In terms of your question about how much to rotate the mirror to ensure that all reflected rays are vertical, the answer will depend on the specific location and orientation of your system. Factors such as the latitude, longitude, and time of year will all affect the angle at which the sun's rays hit the mirror and therefore, the required rotation angle.

To accurately determine the rotation angle, I would recommend consulting with a solar energy expert or using a solar calculator tool. These resources can take into account all the relevant variables and provide you with an exact rotation angle for your specific setup.

I also wanted to mention that using a convex mirror may not be the most efficient way to reflect sunlight onto the patio. Convex mirrors tend to scatter and disperse light, which can result in less concentrated and effective reflection. You may want to consider using a flat or concave mirror for more precise and focused reflection.

Overall, your sun reflecting system is a great example of using solar energy to improve the comfort and functionality of a building. Keep experimenting and refining your design for even better results. Best of luck!

I find your sun reflecting system with sun tracer to be a very interesting and innovative idea. By using light sensors and convex mirrors, you have created a system that can track and reflect sunlight onto a specific area. However, I do have a few questions and suggestions for improvement.

Firstly, it would be helpful to know the specific materials and components you have used in your system, as well as the calculations and measurements you have taken to determine the necessary angles for reflection. This information would provide a better understanding of the functionality and accuracy of your system.

Secondly, I would suggest considering the use of a parabolic mirror instead of a convex mirror. A parabolic mirror is designed specifically for reflecting parallel rays of light, which would be more suitable for your purpose. Additionally, using a parabolic mirror would eliminate the need for constant adjustments and rotations to achieve vertical reflection.

Furthermore, I would recommend incorporating a tracking system that takes into account the changing position of the sun throughout the day. This could be achieved through the use of a solar tracker or a computer program that calculates the necessary angles for reflection based on the current position of the sun.

Overall, your sun reflecting system is a great start, but there are certainly areas for improvement and further research. With some modifications and fine-tuning, it has the potential to be a highly efficient and effective means of reflecting sunlight onto a desired area.

1. What is a Sun Reflector and Tracer?

A Sun Reflector and Tracer is a scientific instrument used to reflect and track the movement of the sun. It is typically made up of a reflective surface and a tracking mechanism, and it is used to collect and measure the sun's rays.

2. How does a Sun Reflector and Tracer work?

A Sun Reflector and Tracer works by reflecting the sun's rays onto a specific area or target. The tracking mechanism moves the reflective surface to follow the sun's movement, ensuring that the reflected rays are always directed towards the target.

3. What are the applications of a Sun Reflector and Tracer?

A Sun Reflector and Tracer has various applications, including solar power generation, solar heating systems, solar cooking, and solar water purification. It can also be used in scientific research to study the sun's movements and effects on the earth.

4. How is a Sun Reflector and Tracer different from a solar panel?

A Sun Reflector and Tracer and a solar panel serve different purposes. While a Sun Reflector and Tracer is used to reflect and track the sun's rays, a solar panel is used to convert the sun's energy into electricity. They both use different technologies and have different functions.

5. Can a Sun Reflector and Tracer be used for indoor applications?

Yes, a Sun Reflector and Tracer can be used for indoor applications. However, it is more commonly used for outdoor applications where there is direct sunlight. It can be used indoors if there is a direct source of sunlight, such as a skylight or a window, that can reflect onto the target area.