Calculating Moment Maps: Worked Examples Needed

• Thread starter dioib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, a moment map is a mathematical tool used in symplectic geometry to analyze symmetries in a given system. It involves identifying symmetries, defining a symplectic structure, and applying a moment map formula. Moment maps are commonly used in physics and mathematics, and worked examples can be helpful in understanding and applying the concept. There are various resources available for learning how to calculate moment maps, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and workshops.
dioib
I am looking for some worked examples of calculating moment maps. I have to calculate some moment maps but have no idea how to step further from the solid definitions I have seen. I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps Silva's examples will help you. (Ana Cannas Da Silva - Lectures on Symplectic Geometry, lecture 22.4)

1. What is a moment map?

A moment map is a mathematical tool used in symplectic geometry to analyze symmetries in a given system. It maps the symplectic manifold onto the dual space of the Lie algebra of the symmetry group, providing a framework for understanding the dynamics of the system.

2. How is a moment map calculated?

The calculation of a moment map involves several steps, including identifying the symmetries of the system, defining the symplectic structure, and applying the moment map formula. This formula typically involves the use of vector fields, Hamiltonian functions, and Lie derivatives.

3. What are some common examples where moment maps are used?

Moment maps are often used in physics, particularly in the study of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and representation theory.

4. Why are worked examples needed for calculating moment maps?

Worked examples provide a visual and step-by-step demonstration of the calculation process, making it easier for individuals to understand and apply the concept. They also help to identify common pitfalls and provide practice for problem-solving.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to calculate moment maps?

Yes, there are various resources available, including textbooks, online tutorials, and videos that provide detailed explanations and examples of moment map calculations. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or attending workshops and conferences can also be helpful in understanding and mastering this concept.