Wind Load Formula: Charles Hutton | A=Fsinx^1.84cos-1

In summary, the formula in question is A = F*sin(theta)^1.84*cos(theta-1), and it is attributed to Charles Hutton. It is also referenced in other sources and is related to experiments regarding velocity and weight. Also, the formula may contain a mistake in the original image as it is missing parentheses.
cuad
I'm not sure where to post this, so please excuse me if this is misplaced. I need help understanding how the terms are grouped in this formula for A = pressure normal to the roof. If any of you are familiar with this formula or can link me to a source containing better expressed formulas like this one I'd appreciate your help. I'm posting a screen shot of the formula from a textbook I'm looking at. It looks something like:
A = Fsinx^1.84cos-1

Apparently it's a formula belonging to someone called Charles Hutton and it looks something more like Pn= P(sinx)^(1.842cosx-1) I just want to double check whether the exponent is really (1.842cosx-1) and not something like 1.842cos(x-1).

http://i33.tinypic.com/13z6fqt.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have never heard of it, but there is another source I found that references it as well (it even talks about the experimental basis for the equation):

When attempting to bring the velocity up to 20
ft. per sec. or 13.6 miles per hour, the thread carrying
the weight broke. These experiments are recorded under
dates of July 24, 25, 31 and Aug. 11. The results ob-
tained were tabulated and the well known formula
Pn = P (sitfx) l -**co*x-i

http://www.archive.org/stream/sixmonographsonw00flemrich/sixmonographsonw00flemrich_djvu.txt

cuad: First, from other sources, we know your attached image in post 1 is missing parentheses around sin theta. Secondly, because addition and subtraction have a low precedence of arithmetic operations, unlike multiplication, we know addition and subtraction expressions can be passed to a function only if the addition or subtraction expression argument is enclosed in parentheses, such as cos(x - 1). Therefore, we know the formula is Pn = P*(sin theta)^[(1.842*cos theta) - 1].

Hi everyone. Thank you guys for clarifying that for me.

What is the "Wind Load Formula: Charles Hutton | A=Fsinx^1.84cos-1"?

The "Wind Load Formula: Charles Hutton | A=Fsinx^1.84cos-1" is a mathematical formula used to calculate the wind load on a structure. It was developed by the Scottish mathematician and scientist Charles Hutton in the 18th century.

How is the "Wind Load Formula" used?

The "Wind Load Formula" is used to determine the amount of force exerted by wind on a structure, such as a building or bridge. This information is important in the design and construction of these structures to ensure they can withstand the wind load and remain stable.

What are the variables in the "Wind Load Formula"?

The variables in the "Wind Load Formula" are A (the wind load), F (the wind force), x (the angle of wind direction), and the constants 1.84 and -1. The formula can also be written as A = F * sin(x)^1.84 * cos(-1).

What units are used in the "Wind Load Formula"?

The units used in the "Wind Load Formula" depend on the units used to measure the variables. The wind load (A) is typically measured in pounds or newtons, the wind force (F) in pounds per square foot or newtons per square meter, and the angle of wind direction (x) in degrees or radians. The constants 1.84 and -1 are unitless.

Are there any limitations to the "Wind Load Formula"?

Yes, the "Wind Load Formula" has limitations as it is a simplified model and does not take into account all factors that can affect wind load, such as turbulence and wind direction changes. It is important to consult with a professional engineer and consider other factors in addition to the formula when designing structures to withstand wind load.