Reynolds Transport derivation?(or 1-form Stokes)

In summary, the conversation discussed the Reynolds transport theorem and the confusion surrounding a specific equation related to it. The theorem states that the rate of change of a quantity within a control volume is equal to the sum of the local rate of change and the net flux across the control volume boundaries. To lower the order of the integral term in the equation, the Leibniz integral rule can be used to rewrite it as an integral of the derivative of the integrand over the control volume boundaries. This will result in the desired surface derivative.
joob

Homework Statement

The latex document for these equations wasnt updating correctly, so I've included them as an attachment wherever there is a ... in the text

Ok, I am trying to understand the Reynolds transport theorem, but i don't understand part of it.

Homework Equations

This is the actual equation I am specifically interested in:

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know one term would be just the chain rule for f(phi)

, but I am not sure how the derivative works for the other term to lower the order to a surface derivative.
From texts I found, I guess the answer should be something like,

but I don't really understand how to explicity take the derivative of the integral to lower the order.

Attachments

• reynoldstransport.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your confusion with the Reynolds transport theorem. It can be a bit tricky to wrap your head around at first, but let me try to explain it to you. The theorem essentially states that the rate of change of a quantity within a control volume is equal to the sum of the local rate of change and the net flux of that quantity across the control volume boundaries.

In terms of the specific equation you mentioned, the first term involving the chain rule is simply the local rate of change of the quantity f(phi) within the control volume. The second term involving the integral is the net flux of f(phi) across the control volume boundaries. This term is usually calculated by integrating over the surface of the control volume, hence the surface derivative.

To explicitly take the derivative of the integral and lower the order, you can use the Leibniz integral rule. This rule states that if the limits of integration of the integral are functions of the variable of differentiation, then the derivative can be written as an integral of the derivative of the integrand over the same limits of integration. In this case, the limits of integration are the control volume boundaries, which are functions of the variable of differentiation (usually time). Therefore, you can rewrite the integral as an integral of the derivative of f(phi) over the control volume boundaries. This will result in the desired surface derivative.

I hope this helps clarify the Reynolds transport theorem for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need additional clarification. Best of luck with your studies!

1. What is Reynolds Transport derivation?

Reynolds Transport derivation is a mathematical technique used to model the transport of a scalar or vector quantity in a fluid flow. It is based on the Reynolds Transport Theorem, which states that the time rate of change of a quantity within a control volume is equal to the sum of the local time rate of change and the convective transport through the control volume boundary.

2. How is Reynolds Transport derivation related to 1-form Stokes?

The 1-form Stokes equation is a special case of the Reynolds Transport equation, which describes the transport of a scalar quantity. The 1-form Stokes equation is derived from the Reynolds Transport equation by assuming that the scalar quantity is conserved, and that there is no source or sink term. Essentially, the 1-form Stokes equation simplifies the Reynolds Transport equation for a specific scenario.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Reynolds Transport derivation?

The Reynolds Transport derivation assumes that the fluid flow is steady, incompressible, and that the control volume is fixed in space. It also assumes that there are no sources or sinks of the transported quantity within the control volume, and that the fluid flow is laminar and can be described by the Navier-Stokes equations.

4. What are some applications of Reynolds Transport derivation?

Reynolds Transport derivation is commonly used in fluid dynamics and aerodynamics to model the transport of quantities such as mass, momentum, and energy. It is also used in environmental sciences to study the transport of pollutants in air and water. Additionally, it has applications in engineering, such as in the design of heat exchangers and chemical reactors.

5. Are there any limitations to the Reynolds Transport derivation?

One limitation of the Reynolds Transport derivation is that it assumes a laminar flow, which may not be accurate for turbulent flows. It also assumes that the fluid is incompressible, which may not be true for high-speed flows. Additionally, the derivation is only valid for steady flows and cannot account for unsteady or transient effects. These limitations should be considered when applying the Reynolds Transport derivation to real-world situations.