Exploring the Applications and Industries of Picoammeters

• Thread starter mbalaban
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of picoammeters in various industries and fields, including semiconductor and nanotechnology. The speaker, who is a math major, is trying to compile a list of things that produce currents in the picoampere range and is looking for more information on where to research these industries and fields. The conversation also mentions the use of picoammeters in electrochemistry and nanotechnology, specifically in voltammetry and scanning tunneling microscopes.
mbalaban
Hey,

I'm interning at a lab that's in the midst of developing a picoammeter (a current measurement instrument capable of measure picoamperes). I'm a math major, not a physicist or an electrical engineer, so I don't haven't deeply studied electricity or its applications. I'm trying to gain an understanding of what types of things would produce currents in the picoampere range (I'm compiling a list). Also, what industries and fields of academia use picoammeters (e.g. semiconductor, nanotech)?

Your answers are much appreciated. I want to do some research into these industries and fields, but I'm not quite sure where to look.

Thank you,

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org

mbalaban said:
Hey,

I'm interning at a lab that's in the midst of developing a picoammeter (a current measurement instrument capable of measure picoamperes). I'm a math major, not a physicist or an electrical engineer, so I don't haven't deeply studied electricity or its applications. I'm trying to gain an understanding of what types of things would produce currents in the picoampere range (I'm compiling a list). Also, what industries and fields of academia use picoammeters (e.g. semiconductor, nanotech)?

Your answers are much appreciated. I want to do some research into these industries and fields, but I'm not quite sure where to look.

Thank you,

Mike

I've only used them for one project, where we were trying to figure out what was causing dendritic growth across the PC board of one of our products many years ago. As the copper dendrites started to form, you could sense very small changes in resistance between the traces that had the bias voltage driving the growth.

info on dendritic growth: http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/0152_caf/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

In electrochemistry - voltammetry at microelectrodes. Especially fast voltammetry on microelectrodes with the radius measured in nanometers. Current can be very small and change fast (say from -pA to pA in less than ms). At least these were conditions we were thinking about around 1990, I wouldn't be surprised if at the moment they can be down to fA and μs.

In nanotech, they are used in scanning tunneling microscopes which measure leakage current that escaped from a potential barrier developed between electrodes and a sample in order to reconstruct an image.

Thanks a lot for your answers, this has been very helpful so far.

1. What is a picoammeter and what is its purpose?

A picoammeter is a highly sensitive instrument used to measure electric current in the picoampere range (10^-12 amps). It is commonly used in scientific research to measure extremely low currents in a circuit or sample.

2. How does a picoammeter work?

A picoammeter works by using a high-impedance input circuit to minimize the amount of current that is drawn from the circuit being measured. It also uses a feedback mechanism to maintain the input voltage at a constant level, allowing for accurate current measurements.

3. What are the main components of a picoammeter?

The main components of a picoammeter include a high-impedance input stage, a feedback circuit, a digital or analog display, and a power supply. Some picoammeters may also include additional features such as a built-in amplifier or data logging capabilities.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a picoammeter?

When selecting a picoammeter, some important factors to consider include the sensitivity and resolution of the instrument, its input impedance, the measurement range, and the accuracy and precision of the readings. It is also important to consider the intended use and any additional features that may be necessary for your specific application.

5. How can a picoammeter be calibrated and maintained for accurate measurements?

A picoammeter can be calibrated by using a known current source and adjusting the instrument's settings to match the known value. Regular maintenance, including cleaning and checking for any drift or malfunction, is important to ensure accurate measurements. It is also recommended to periodically recalibrate the picoammeter to maintain its accuracy.