Understanding the Relationship Between Time and Speed: A Confused Exploration

In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of time and its relationship to distance and speed. The equation s=d/t was discussed, with the conclusion that time is always greater than distance. The idea of slowing down time through speed was also explored, with the example of two drivers traveling at different speeds on a 100 km journey. The conversation also touched on the connection between time and gravity, as well as the possibility of traveling at the speed of light. Overall, the main point was that speed is essentially the manipulation of time.
Chaz666
ok, I am looking for some help, really confused. I am also kind of talking out load a bit, but typing.

Speed = distance / time
i don't know how i thought of it, or if it is correct, (probably horrifically wrong), but, if time is relative to speed, if no distance is traveled, will time continue normally, as it is relative to speed.

i mean no distance, as in none, which will require movement, as the planet is rotating, the galaxy moving through space, gravity is still in effect, etc. no distance will be covered, so speed will speed = time. now I am very confused.

can anybody make sense of my blithering an help explain anything about changing the rate of time. actually, thinking about it, this wouldn't work at all. now I am off the scale of confusion.

cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
If s=d/t, and d=0, then s=0, but t could be anything.

0=0/1

0=0/512

0=0/738367464909489048

0=0/0.000001

And so on.

That equation isn't about the passage of time itself, it is only about the time it takes for certain events to occur.

oo ar! how did i not see that.
cheers!

As far as I know, time is one of the 4 Dimensions that never stops, whereas one may sit at a specific point in 3D space in some reference frame. Every point in space has a world line so there is always that "motion."

The standard velocity = distance/time formula refers to the proper distance between two points (which is the same in all frames of reference divided by the time it takes to get there.

I suppose it is possible to conceptually think of traveling at lightlike speed so the elapsed time from A to B would be zero but by the relativistic momentum equations, it is impossible to get to the speed of light and one would wlays remain in the timelike area of the time-distance graph.

stevmg said:
As far as I know, time is one of the 4 Dimensions that never stops, whereas one may sit at a specific point in 3D space in some reference frame. Every point in space has a world line so there is always that "motion."

The standard velocity = distance/time formula refers to the proper distance between two points (which is the same in all frames of reference divided by the time it takes to get there.

I suppose it is possible to conceptually think of traveling at lightlike speed so the elapsed time from A to B would be zero but by the relativistic momentum equations, it is impossible to get to the speed of light and one would wlays remain in the timelike area of the time-distance graph.

May i know what the other 3 dimensions are?

i think its like a box, 1 dimension would be a point, two a line, & 3 are depth, hight & width.
unless there different for complicated physics...
the 4th is time, and i think einstein said there's 10 (or is it 11?) dimensions. gravity is thought to penatrate all of them, therefore it is so weak in comparison. (lol penatrates all of them). gravity is so weak in comparison, for example, the whole weight of the Earth pulling down on a little fridge magnet, yet its being held up by magnetic force.

i watch too much tv.
feel free to correct me :D

Brandon_R said:
May i know what the other 3 dimensions are?

I was thinking of the ordinary cartesian x, y, z dimenesions (no matter what "angle" the frame of reference is in space. I know there is no absolute x, y, or z.

As far as ten dimensions, that is way out of my pay grade.

Chaz666 said:
ok, I am looking for some help, really confused. I am also kind of talking out load a bit, but typing.

Speed = distance / time
i don't know how i thought of it, or if it is correct, (probably horrifically wrong), but, if time is relative to speed, if no distance is traveled, will time continue normally, as it is relative to speed.

i mean no distance, as in none, which will require movement, as the planet is rotating, the galaxy moving through space, gravity is still in effect, etc. no distance will be covered, so speed will speed = time. now I am very confused.

can anybody make sense of my blithering an help explain anything about changing the rate of time. actually, thinking about it, this wouldn't work at all. now I am off the scale of confusion.

cheers!

Time is distance as much as time is not distance. If there was no such thing as distance there would be no such thing as time as you would travel everywhere instantly. Hence time is always greater than distance.

If time was less than distance time would start going backwards as you would complete your journey before you started it. The reason you can slow down time however in comparison to someone else is as follows.

Driver a and b start a 100 km journey all variables remaining constant except speed. Driver a travels at 100 km/h and driver b travels at 50 km/h. For the time that driver a is traveling time slows down for him/her in comparison to driver b otherwise he would not be able to complete his/her journey in half the time.

The first argument is driver a was traveling faster. Problem with that argument is that speed is simply time taken to travel a distance. Hence speed is not separate from time and distance because speed is time and distance. They are both the same.

Second argument will again be driver a was traveling faster. Replace traveling faster with slowing down time and you have what speed really is. Slowing down time.

A better example of slowing down time is the lesson I got in high school teaching that if I accelerated away from the Earth in a radius at a constant rate for 200 years, upon arriving back the Earth would have aged by 40,000 years. The reason is very simple. Because I was traveling distance in far less time than everyone else on the face of the planet time slowed down for me in comparison to everyone else on the face of the earth.

Last edited:
Chaz666 said:
Speed = distance / time
i don't know how i thought of it, or if it is correct, (probably horrifically wrong), but, if time is relative to speed,

In that equation time is inversely related to speed

Chaz666 said:
if no distance is traveled, will time continue normally, as it is relative to speed.

No, no ... time will continue normally anyway. Actually, time dilates with increasing speed relative to an inertial frame of reference using the moving object as the center of a second or moving FOR. There is no absolute inertial frame of reference. The original statement is true as depicted here [speed = distance/time] with reference to a frame of reference which is inertial. Any FOR can be chosen as inertial but once chosen, it must be "stuck with." Time continues in that FOR on and on, as well as any other FOR whether an object "stands still" in relation to that FOR or not.

Chaz666 said:

Speed does not equate to time as you stated. If no motion in that FOR, time still proceeds in that FOR even though the object in question may be "standing still" in that FOR.

All the above relates to FORs that are NOT accelerating or decelerating. But, that's another story.

Chaz666 said:

I hope this answers your specific question.

stevmg

Last edited:

1. How does time affect speed?

Time and speed have an inverse relationship, meaning that as time increases, speed decreases, and vice versa. This is because speed is defined as the distance traveled divided by the time taken to travel that distance. Therefore, the more time is taken to travel a certain distance, the slower the speed will be.

2. How does speed affect time?

As mentioned above, time and speed have an inverse relationship. This means that as speed increases, time decreases. For example, if you are traveling at a higher speed, you will cover more distance in a shorter amount of time compared to traveling at a lower speed.

3. Is it possible to travel through time by increasing speed?

No, it is not possible to travel through time by increasing speed. This idea is often portrayed in science fiction, but it is not supported by scientific evidence. While increasing speed can affect the perception of time, it does not actually allow for time travel.

4. How does time dilation relate to the relationship between time and speed?

Time dilation is a phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at a high speed compared to a stationary object. This is due to the relationship between time and speed, where the faster an object is moving, the slower time appears to pass for that object.

5. Can time and speed ever be completely separated?

No, time and speed are always interconnected. In order for an object to have a speed, it must also have a frame of reference in which time is passing. Similarly, in order for time to exist, there must be some sort of movement or change. Therefore, time and speed are always linked together.