Calculating Momentum Change in Elastic Collisions

• Thread starter superaznnerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the change in momentum of a 2kg ball that falls from rest from a 5m height and elastically collides with the ground below. The initial momentum is 20kgm/s downwards, and the final momentum is 20kgm/s upwards. Therefore, the change in momentum is 40kgm/s, and the magnitude of this change is 40kgm/s. The coefficient of restitution for this collision is 1, indicating that the collision is perfectly elastic.
superaznnerd

Homework Statement

a ball of 2kg falls from rest froma 5m height and collides elastically with the floor below. what is the magnitude change in the object's momentum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did S=So+.5aT^2
I solved for the time it takes to reach the ground, which is 1 second.
Next, I figured out that the velocity on impact with ground is 10m/s
I did 10m/s *2kg = 20kgm/s

however, the answer is 40kgm/s. Can someone explain? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the initial momentum, you need to get the velocity after impact to get the final momentum.

rock.freak667 said:
You have the initial momentum, you need to get the velocity after impact to get the final momentum.

But problem asked the change in momentum.

Impulse=change in momentum=Ft=mg*∆t

They want the change in momentum during the impact with the floor, not during the initial drop.

Think what "elastically" means.

Borek said:
Think what "elastically" means.

I think elastically means after collision the ball moves up. If we consider this, we need coefficient of restitution.

The coefficient of restitution = 1 for an elastic collision.

Please let the OP solve the problem now.

Redbelly98 said:
The coefficient of restitution = 1 for an elastic collision.

Please let the OP solve the problem now.

e=1 for perfectly elastic collision. I mean before collisin and after collision speed are the same for e=1. Actual case is not perfectly elastic.

Disagreed. From Giancoli's book Physics (5th ed.): "a collision, in which total kinetic energy is conserved, is called an elastic collision". And reading further: "collisions in which kinetic energy is not conserved are said to be inelastic collisions", and "if two objects stick together as a result of a collision, the collision is said to be completely inelastic."

now I get the answer is 0. right before the collision it is 20kgm/s down. right after it is 20kgm/s up. Thus, there is no change in magnitude of momentum...

rebelly: can you explain how the stuff you wrote is relevant??

superaznnerd said:
now I get the answer is 0. right before the collision it is 20kgm/s down. right after it is 20kgm/s up. Thus, there is no change in magnitude of momentum...

Hm, could be my English fails me here, but looks like you are right. Momentum magnitude doesn't change, even if momentum changes by 40 kgm/s. But I can be wrong.

What you posted is a direct quote of the question wording, or was it translated?

You can safely ignore discussion with inky.

superaznnerd said:
But there is a change in the direction of momentum. Momentum is a vector, so there is a change in the momentum. Hint: express the upward momentum as positive, and downward as negative.
It was addressed to stuff inky posted, don't worry about it. :smile:

superaznnerd said:
what is the magnitude change in the object's momentum?
Okay, I think I see the source of confusion here.

They are asking you to first find the change in momentum, and then get the magnitude of that change. It is not asking for the change in the magnitude of momentum.

that sounds right ill ask my teacher 2moro

1. What is the definition of "strange strange question"?

"Strange strange question" is a phrase that can be interpreted in different ways depending on the context. Generally, it refers to a question that is unusual or unexpected, and may not have an obvious or straightforward answer.

2. Why do people ask strange strange questions?

People may ask strange strange questions for a variety of reasons. It could be out of curiosity, to challenge conventional thinking, or to spark a conversation. Some people may also ask strange strange questions as a way to be humorous or playful.

3. Can strange strange questions lead to scientific discoveries?

Yes, strange strange questions have the potential to lead to scientific discoveries. Many groundbreaking scientific theories and inventions have come from asking seemingly strange or unconventional questions. It is important for scientists to think outside the box and consider all possibilities, even if they may seem strange at first.

4. How can scientists approach answering strange strange questions?

Scientists can approach answering strange strange questions by using the scientific method. This involves forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments or research, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions. It is also important for scientists to keep an open mind and consider all possibilities when trying to answer strange questions.

5. Are there any famous examples of strange strange questions in science?

Yes, there are many famous examples of strange strange questions in science. One well-known example is Albert Einstein's question, "What would it be like to ride on a beam of light?" This question ultimately led to the development of his theory of relativity. Other examples include Galileo's question about why objects fall at the same rate regardless of their weight, and Isaac Newton's question about why the moon doesn't fall to Earth.