Comparing Convergence Rates of Sequences

In summary, the conversation discusses four sequences of numbers and the question of which one has the fastest rate of convergence. The sequences are {32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1}, {32, 16, 8, 2, 1, 0.5}, {32, 16, 4, 2, 1, 0.5}, and {32, 16, 4, 1, 0.25, 0.0625}. The goal is to be able to plot the rates of convergence against each other and determine which sequence drops or decreases faster. A mathematical formula is needed to extract this data and plot it in a way that makes
onako
I have the following sequences of numbers:
1) 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1
2) 32, 16, 8, 2, 1, 0.5
3) 32, 16, 4, 2, 1, 0.5,
4) 32, 16, 4, 1, 0.25, 0.0625

I'm interested which of the above has the fastest rate of convergence.
(mathematical formula is needed). I should be able to plot the rates of
convergence against each other, and it should be concluded from the plot.
(The data given above are just the illustration)

Physics news on Phys.org
This means I should be able to tell which sequence drops/decreases faster from the plot.
For example, given sequences {32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1} and {128, 32, 8, 2, .5, .125} I should be able to tell that the second sequence drops faster (decreases by /4). How to extract this data and plot it, so that the answer is obvious? Thanks

What is the definition of convergence rate?

The convergence rate of a sequence refers to how quickly it approaches its limit or converges to a specific value.

How is convergence rate calculated?

Convergence rate is typically calculated by taking the ratio of the difference between consecutive terms in a sequence and the difference between the limiting value and the current term. This ratio can then be raised to a power to determine the convergence rate.

What factors affect the convergence rate of a sequence?

Several factors can impact the convergence rate, including the starting point of the sequence, the characteristics of the sequence (such as monotonicity or boundedness), and the rate at which the terms in the sequence approach each other.

How can you compare the convergence rates of different sequences?

To compare the convergence rates of different sequences, you can calculate the convergence rate for each sequence and then compare the resulting values. A higher convergence rate indicates a faster rate of convergence.

Why is it important to study and compare convergence rates of sequences?

Studying and comparing convergence rates of sequences can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of mathematical functions and can help determine the efficiency and accuracy of various numerical methods and algorithms.