Is the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 a good digital camera option?

In summary, After discussing the needs for a digital camera, the conversation turned to suggestions for a high-resolution and reliable option. The Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14 Megapixel Digital Camera was suggested, along with alternatives such as the Panasonic DMC-ZS3 and the Sony Alpha A230 DSLR. The importance of matching the camera to one's specific photography needs was emphasized, such as whether telephoto lenses or action photography were priorities. It was also recommended to check review sites like dpreview.com when making a decision.
mhthegoblin
Hi,

I'm after a digital camera. Doesn't have to be too special beyond a) a high resolution (12MP minimum) and b) reliable and likely to last a while. I'm looking into this - Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14 Megapixel Digital Camera - Silver
5X Optical Zoom - 2.7 LCD Touch Display - Waterproof - SD/SDHC Card Slot - Dual Image Stabilization - Records HD Movies

- do you guys think it'd be appropriate? Any suggestions of an alternative?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your needs? After adopting a rambunctious dog and finding it inconvenient to haul around the Canon DSLRs and lenses, I bought a compact digital camera. I settled on Panasonic because of the excellent Leica lenses and impressive optical zoom capabilities. I got the DMC-ZS3, and I'll bet that its replacement is just as nice. The macro performance is especially good, compared to my old Olympus.

Last edited:
I got my Sony Alpha A230 DSLR for $325. 10 MP, works like a charm, has most functions you'll ever need, great for astrophotography.

zomgwtf said:
troll!

It meets all of his criteria!

Thanks for the replies, guys :)

Like turbo-1, for home/travel I have a panasonic Lumix super zoom, and it's great.

Extra emphasis to what turbo said. At this level of camera, the overall quality of each may be equivalent, but each has different strengths. You'll have a hard time finding a compact digital that's good at everything. But, if you match your camera to the type of pictures you expect to take, you're going to wind up with a very good deal for you personally.

Things to consider:

1) Do you want telephoto lenses or wide angle lenses? Not many at this level support extra lenses, but some do. They cost extra, but that capability is there if you shoot a lot of pictures of scenery, such as mountains, etc.

2) Do you want to take action photographs? Even trying to photograph kids can be considered action photos when you start looking at how slow the response time on some cameras are.

3) Do you need a camera that can withstand a rugged lifestyle? The camera you're considering would be a good one in that case.

Probably several other things to consider when trying to match your photography needs to a camera.

Set up your priorities, narrow your choices based on your top priorities, then among the survivors, narrow your choices by your second priority, etc.

For example, I have a Nikon Coolpix P5000. This is great for the pictures I normally take in the mountains and I even have a telephoto lens for it. It's a very frustrating camera when taking photographs of moving objects. You can do it by technique (half pressing the button until you actually want to take the picture and then pushing the button the rest of the way), but it's very hard to take rapid pictures of moving objects. (In fact, they came out with the P5100 less than a year later to speed the camera up at least a little, even if it's still slow).

While I like my camera, if I tended to take a lot of action photos, I'd be severely disappointed - or maybe I'd have mastered the technique better, except that would be pointless since I could have found a much faster camera that would be much easier to master. Meaning you need more than whether other people like a certain kind of camera or not. You have to know what they use it for, as well.

1. Is the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 waterproof?

Yes, the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 is waterproof up to 33 feet (10 meters). It is also shockproof, freezeproof, and crushproof, making it a great option for outdoor and rugged use.

2. What is the image quality like on the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010?

The Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 has a 14-megapixel sensor and a 5x optical zoom lens, which results in high-quality images with sharp details and vibrant colors. It also has built-in image stabilization to reduce blur caused by camera shake.

3. Can the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 record videos?

Yes, the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 can record videos in 720p HD resolution. It also has a built-in microphone for capturing audio.

4. Does the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 have any special features?

Yes, the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 has several special features, including a GPS for geotagging photos, a compass, and a manometer for measuring altitude and depth. It also has several shooting modes, such as underwater mode and panorama mode.

5. How durable is the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010?

The Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 is built to withstand tough conditions and is designed to be shockproof, freezeproof, and crushproof. It is also made with a rugged metal body and has a protective seal to keep out dust and water.