Need help to read and understand machine drawings

• Thread starter hemal1972
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, to be good at machine drawings, you need to be familiar with the symbols and practice reading the drawings. It takes a bit of time to get used to them at first and they can vary from OEM to OEM. Additionally, you should try to draw plans of things you see and train your brain to be able to visualize the 2d drawings into 3d drawings.
hemal1972
i am a mechanical engineer. but, i am not good in machine drawings. i can not understand the assembly drawings. i can not visualize the 2d drawings into 3d drawings. if anybody knows the perfect method to understand and read machine/assembly drawings then please inform me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hemal1972 said:
i am a mechanical engineer. but, i am not good in machine drawings. i can not understand the assembly drawings. i can not visualize the 2d drawings into 3d drawings. if anybody knows the perfect method to understand and read machine/assembly drawings then please inform me.

There's not really a method for visualization. I find that it is very unique to each person and their natural creative ability.

As far as the machine and assembly drawings, you just need to familiarize yourself with the symbols and practice reading the drawings. It takes a bit of time to get used to them at first and they can vary from OEM to OEM.

CS

Practise and experience.

hemal1972 said:
i can not visualize the 2d drawings into 3d drawings.

Sketch and draw as much as you can (make it a hobby) - train your brain.

Do exercises from drafting texts:
Draw isometric views from orthographic.
Draw orthographic from isometric.
You should be able to start with iso, convert to ortho then convert back again to iso without distortion of the object.

Solid modelling programs make projections far too easy. Drawing with a pen and paper will help greatly.

Good point about actually DRAWING things rather than letting the computer do the work.

How about trying to draw plans of things you see? Look at your coffee cup...I just happen to have mine handy here...with one eye, square on, and draw the outline. Rotate it 90deg and draw. Then look directly down on it and do the same. See if you can line up each drawing so the common visible edges are parallel. You've made an engineering drawing.

1. What are the different types of machine drawings?

There are three main types of machine drawings: assembly drawings, detailed drawings, and layout drawings. Assembly drawings show how different parts of a machine fit together. Detailed drawings provide measurements and specifications for each part. Layout drawings show the overall dimensions and placement of the machine.

2. How do I read a machine drawing?

To read a machine drawing, start by identifying the different parts and their corresponding numbers or labels. Then, refer to the drawing's title block for important information such as scale and date. Next, use the dimensions and notes to understand the size and shape of each part. Finally, refer to the assembly drawing to see how all the parts fit together.

3. What is the purpose of a machine drawing?

The main purpose of a machine drawing is to communicate the design and specifications of a machine to others. It allows engineers, manufacturers, and technicians to understand how the machine should be built and how its parts fit together. Machine drawings also serve as a reference for maintenance and repairs.

4. How can I improve my understanding of machine drawings?

To improve your understanding of machine drawings, it is important to have a basic understanding of technical drawing principles such as scale, dimensioning, and symbols. You can also practice interpreting different types of drawings and familiarize yourself with common industry standards and symbols. It may also be helpful to work closely with experienced engineers or technicians to gain hands-on experience.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble understanding a machine drawing?

If you are having trouble understanding a machine drawing, try breaking it down into smaller sections and focusing on one part at a time. Refer to the title block for important information and use a ruler or other measuring tools to better visualize the dimensions. If you are still having difficulty, don't hesitate to ask for help from a more experienced colleague or consult additional resources such as technical manuals or online tutorials.