Tabular and Recursive IBP don't agree

• Thread starter paulfr
  • Start date
In summary: Ln x – 4x8 (1 / x^2 ) ..4x – 812 (1 / x^3 ) .- 1216 (1 / x^4 ) ..16 So the problem with my first attempt was that I used the bottom entry in the Integral column only once, instead of twice.That is why I had the extra factor of 1 / 3 = 4 / 12 = 4 / ( 4 * 3) = 4 / 4 ( 1/ 3)Anyway, thanks again for your help.In summary, the Tabular Integration By Parts method can only
paulfr
What am I doing wrong here ?

Tabular and Recursive Integration By Parts don't agree for the
Integral of [Ln x]^2 dx

Using Tabular Integration By Parts …………

[ Ln x ]^2 ........ x
2 (Ln x)( 1/x )......x^2 / 2
2 (1/x) (1/x) + 2Ln x (–1/x^2)...x^3 / 6

I get .....
x(Ln x)^2 – x Ln x + (1/3) x (1 – Ln x) = x(Ln x)^2 – (4/3)x Ln x + (1/3) x

But WolframAlpha gives ..

x(Ln x)^2 – 2x Ln x + 2x)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump

Can no one help me out here ?

I do not think there is any reason why this integral
can not be done by Tabular IBParts

Am I wrong or did I make errors in my calculations ?

Thanks

I did not respond to this because I simply could not understand what you are doing. You appear to be integrating [itex]\int (ln(x))^2 dx[/itex] by parts letting [itex]u= (ln(x))^2[/itex] and dv= dx. Then [itex]du= 2(ln(x))/x dx[/itex] and v= x. The integral becomes
[itex]uv- \int v du= x(ln(x))^2- 2\int ln(x)dx[/itex]

Now do the second integral by parts, letting u= ln(x) and dv= dx so that du= 1/x and v= x: [itex]\int ln(x) dx= x ln(x)- \int dx= x ln(x)- x+ C[/itex].

Putting those together, [itex]\int (ln(x))^2 dx= x(ln(x))^2- 2x ln(x)+ x+ C[/itex].

I cannot see where you get the [itex]x^2[/itex] or [itex]x^3[/itex] terms from.

Yes exactly right.
What you did is standard recursive IBP.
{the last terms should be 2x + C, not x + C}
That is what I get too.

But I want to do the problem using the Tabular Method of IBP
u = [Ln x]^2 and dv = 1
So the left column is differentiating and
the right column is integrating.
The result disagrees with what you did.

I do not understand why ?

The problem seems to be the 2 / 6 = 1/3 factor.
Removing or ignoring that leads to an answer that agrees with the recursive method.
But how is that 1/3 incorrect ?
It is a direct result of the right column integration.

Does the Tabular Method have a limitation I do not know about ?
I do not see any error in my differentiation or integration.

Thanks again for any suggestions

Last edited:
I don't use tabular integration, but from what I read about it on wikipedia it looks to me like your problem is that you stopped at the x^3 term, but according to the tabular integration recipe you're supposed to keep going until there are no possible pairings left. You just arbitrarily stopped at the third iteration. If you did infinitely many iterations presumably you would get the same answer as regular integration by parts.

I don't think the tabular works well for this integral. It seems to work mainly for integrals where the du term eventually vanishes or where the integrand ends up repeating itself.

EDIT: Yes, that's exactly the problem. You can show by repeated integration by parts that

[tex]\int u v^{(1)}dx = uv + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^n u^{(n)}v^{(-n)}[/tex]
where u^(n) is the nth derivative of u and v^(-n) is the nth anti-derivative of v. If u^(n) doesn't vanish for some n then this just goes on forever. If at some n=N the integrand is the same as the original integrand up to a constant factor, then

[tex]\int u v^{(1)}dx = uv + \sum_{n=1}^N (-1)^n u^{(n)}v^{(-n)} + \int u^{(N+1)}v^{(-N)} dx[/tex]
with [itex]\int u^{(N+1)}v^{(-N)} dx = C\int u v^{(1)}dx[/itex],then

[tex](1-C)\int u v^{(1)}dx = uv + \sum_{n=1}^N (-1)^n u^{(n)}v^{(-n)}[/tex]
(where C is not 1).

Another possibility is that u^(n+1)v^(-n) is a constant, and the integration ends there after integrating the constant. This is the case for ln(x).

So this is your problem: the tabular method only works if the derivative eventually terminates, which does not happen with this problem, so you can't use it here. In doing the regular integration by parts for this problem we change what u and v are for the second integral, which makes it so we don't get this infinite series of integrations.

Last edited:
Yes it sure does not work well for this one given the chosen u and dv

Maybe that is the limitation of the Tabular Method ??
u must extinguish or dv must repeat for it to work.

I did try u = dv = Ln x and it did not work well either.

paulfr said:
Yes it sure does not work well for this one given the chosen u and dv

Maybe that is the limitation of the Tabular Method ??
u must extinguish or dv must repeat for it to work.

I did try u = dv = Ln x and it did not work well either.

See my post above yours for my edit which explains the problem with the tabular method.

Mute said:
So this is your problem: the tabular method only works if the derivative eventually terminates, which does not happen with this problem, so you can't use it here. In doing the regular integration by parts for this problem we change what u and v are for the second integral, which makes it so we don't get this infinite series of integrations.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.

I did some more net searching and found out what I am doing wrong.
Briefly, the method [when one column does not terminate in zero or repeat] asks you to finish the
last line as an integral of the product of the two columns.
Note that the bottom entry in the integral (right) column is used twice.
Note also this is just what the statement of the problem is on the first line of the tabular form.
The Integral of u dv.

Here are two different solutions I was able to get to work and produce the correct answer.

Let u = dv = Ln x ………….

Ln x .....Ln x
1 / x .....x Ln x – x

x (Ln x)^2 – x Ln x – [Integral 1 / x (xLn x – x)]
x (Ln x)^2 – x Ln x – [Integral Ln x – 1)]
x (Ln x)^2 – x Ln x – [ [x Ln x – x ] – [ x] ]
x (Ln x)^2 – 2x Ln x + 2x

-----------------------------------------------------

Alternate Choice of u and dv; u = [ Ln x ]^2 dv = 1

(Ln x)^2.........1
2 (Ln x)( 1/x ).......x
2 (1/x) (1/x) + 2Ln x (–1/x^2)...x^2 / 2

x(Ln x)^2 – x Ln x + [ Integral (1 – Ln x) ]
x(Ln x)^2 – x Ln x + [ (x – (xLn x – x) ]
x(Ln x)^2 – x Ln x + [ (x – xLn x + x ]
x (Ln x)^2 – 2x Ln x + 2x

Last edited:
Here is a clearer description of the Tabular Method ...

http://www.maa.org/pubs/Calc_articles/ma036.pdf

This article contains an alternate Tabular Method not of concern here,
but the first page gives a clear diagram with four corners that delineate the algorithm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between Tabular and Recursive IBP?

Tabular and Recursive IBP are both methods used in statistical analysis to calculate the probability of a certain event occurring. The main difference between the two is that Tabular IBP uses a table of values to calculate the probability, while Recursive IBP uses a recursive formula.

2. Why do Tabular and Recursive IBP sometimes give different results?

The main reason for the difference in results is due to the different methods used in the calculation. Tabular IBP relies on a pre-defined table of values, which may not be accurate for certain situations. Recursive IBP, on the other hand, uses a formula that can be adjusted for different scenarios, making it more accurate.

3. Which method is more reliable for calculating probabilities?

It ultimately depends on the situation and the data available. Tabular IBP may be more reliable if the table of values is accurate and comprehensive. However, if the situation is complex and requires more flexibility, Recursive IBP may be a better choice.

4. Can Tabular and Recursive IBP be used interchangeably?

No, Tabular and Recursive IBP are two distinct methods and cannot be used interchangeably. They have different approaches and assumptions, and using one in place of the other may lead to incorrect results.

5. How do I know which method to use for my analysis?

It is important to understand the differences between Tabular and Recursive IBP and how they work. You should also consider the complexity of the situation and the availability of data. It may be helpful to consult with a statistician or use both methods and compare the results to determine which one is more suitable for your analysis.