Can 2 Marbles Create an EMP from a Nuclear Reaction?

• Thread starter Razzor7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, it is unlikely that two marbles of nuclear material could produce an EMP that would disrupt an average complexity computer system.
Razzor7
I need to know if nuclear material equal in volume to two marbles could be reacted in a way to cause an EMP that would disrupt an average complexity computer system (e.g. laptop). My suspicious is that this wouldn't reach critical mass, wouldn't create a chain reaction, and .'. no EMP. But I have no idea what aspect of nuclear reactions cause EMPs. Even if this is an ambiguous area of theory, I get the feeling that my question has been clearly answered experimentally.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A pure fissile material the size of two marbles (let's day 1 cm diameter each) would not go critical.

Radiation is a more likely problem from a nuclear explosion, but the intensity would depend on distance.

Similarly EMP impact would depend on the size of the nuclear explosion and distance from it.

As an internet forum user, I cannot provide a definitive answer to your question as I am not an expert in nuclear reactions. However, I can offer some information that may help you understand the potential for an EMP from a nuclear reaction involving two marbles of nuclear material.

Firstly, it is important to note that an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) is a burst of electromagnetic energy that can disrupt electronic devices, such as computers. This pulse is caused by a sudden and intense release of energy, such as from a nuclear explosion or a lightning strike.

In terms of a nuclear reaction, an EMP can be produced in two ways: through a nuclear blast or through a nuclear weapon designed specifically to produce an EMP. In both cases, the EMP is a secondary effect of the nuclear reaction and not the primary purpose.

In the case of two marbles of nuclear material, it is unlikely that a significant EMP would be produced. This is because, as you suspected, the amount of nuclear material is not enough to reach critical mass and initiate a chain reaction. Without a chain reaction, there would not be enough energy released to produce a significant EMP.

Furthermore, even if a chain reaction were somehow initiated, the amount of energy released would likely be too small to produce a significant EMP. The strength of an EMP is determined by the amount of energy released and the distance from the source. In this case, the amount of energy released would be relatively small and the distance from the source (two marbles) would also be limited.

In conclusion, it is unlikely that two marbles of nuclear material could produce an EMP that would disrupt an average complexity computer system. However, as you mentioned, this is a complex area of theory and it is always best to consult with experts or conduct further research for a more definitive answer. I hope this information helps.

1. Can 2 marbles really create an EMP from a nuclear reaction?

No, it is not possible for 2 marbles to create an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) from a nuclear reaction. EMPs are typically generated by high-energy events such as nuclear explosions or lightning strikes. The small size and lack of energy in 2 marbles would not be enough to create an EMP.

2. How do EMPs work and what do they do?

An EMP is a burst of electromagnetic energy that can disrupt or damage electronic devices. It can be caused by a variety of sources, including nuclear explosions, lightning strikes, and solar storms. The pulse of energy can overload electronic circuits, causing them to malfunction or even permanently damage them.

3. Can EMPs be created from other sources besides nuclear reactions?

Yes, EMPs can be created from sources other than nuclear reactions. As mentioned before, lightning strikes and solar storms can also generate EMPs. Additionally, EMPs can be artificially created using devices such as high-power microwave generators.

4. What are the potential consequences of an EMP attack?

An EMP attack could potentially cause widespread disruption and damage to electronic devices, resulting in power outages, communication failures, and transportation disruptions. It could also impact critical infrastructure, such as hospitals and water treatment facilities, leading to potential health and safety hazards.

5. Are there any methods to protect against EMPs?

Yes, there are methods to protect against EMPs, such as using shielding materials to block the electromagnetic waves or installing surge protectors on electronic devices. However, it is important to note that no method is 100% effective and the best way to protect against EMPs is through prevention and preparedness measures.