What Does \bar{\in} Symbol Mean?

• Thread starter bp_psy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the symbol \bar{\in} is used in mathematical notation to indicate that a given element does not belong to a specific set. It is commonly used in set theory to express set complement and can also be used in other branches of mathematics such as logic and discrete mathematics. While there are alternative symbols, \bar{\in} is the most commonly used. It is typically pronounced as "not an element of" or "not in."
bp_psy
What does this symbol mean [tex]\bar{\in}[/tex]? I know what [tex]\in[/tex] is but I never saw it with a line on top.

edit. I figured it out I think It was used because they can't print [tex]\notin[/tex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try typing the context or the formula you found that... the stand-alone symbol could mean anything!

I think you will find this in older manuscripts, before [itex]\notin[/itex] became common.

1. What is the meaning of the symbol \bar{\in}?

The symbol \bar{\in} is read as "is not an element of" and is used in mathematical notation to indicate that a given element does not belong to a specific set. It is the negation of the "is an element of" symbol, \in.

2. How is the symbol \bar{\in} used in set theory?

In set theory, the symbol \bar{\in} is used to express the concept of set complement. It is used to indicate that a given element is not a member of a particular set. For example, if A is a set and x is an element that is not in A, we can write x \bar{\in} A.

3. Can the symbol \bar{\in} be used in other branches of mathematics?

Yes, the symbol \bar{\in} is commonly used in other branches of mathematics, such as logic and discrete mathematics. In logic, it is used to represent negation, and in discrete mathematics, it is used to denote the complement of a set.

4. Is there an alternative symbol for \bar{\in}?

Yes, there are several alternative symbols that can be used to express the same concept as \bar{\in}. These include \notin, \not\in, and \neq. However, \bar{\in} is the most commonly used symbol for expressing set complement.

5. How is the symbol \bar{\in} pronounced?

The symbol \bar{\in} is typically pronounced as "not an element of." Some may also pronounce it as "not in." It is important to note that this symbol is read as a whole and not as separate symbols.