Calculating horizontal Wire Cable Load

In summary: However, an overload can cause the cable to fail suddenly, not over time.In summary, the conversation discussed the installation of a 'zip line' and the concern for determining the maximum safe load it can carry without weakening the cable over time. The line is made of a 3/8th inch aircraft cable with a 14,400 lbs test and attached to steel i-beams embedded in concrete. The trolly used is also commercially made with a 14,400 lbs test. There was also a discussion about dynamic loads and energy absorption, but no specific formula was provided. It was suggested to consult a mechanical engineer for a more accurate answer.
gcheris
We've installed a 'zip line' and are trying to figure the maximum load it can safely carry. To date, it has handled, without complaint, 210 lbs. This is fine except over time an overload will obviously weaken the cable - we don't want to do that!

The line is a 3/8th inch aircraft cable (14,400 lbs test) attached to upright 16" x 10" x 1/4" steel i-beams which are embedded in 5' deep x 4' diamenter concrete plus the tops are anchored, via the same 3/8th inch cable, apx 8' to the rear in more concrete. The attachment point on one i-beam is 11' above the other i-beam.

The trolly is a commercially mfg 14,400 lb test unit.

The deflection is about 14-20" over the 275' span (a sight guess).

Does anyone know of a formula to determine the maximum safe working load? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a purely static load on the cable, by my calculations the tension on the cable will be twice the supported weight if the angle is 15 degrees and the weight is in the center.

But this doesn't really address the safety factor that you need for dynamic loads, or for fatigue.

One major concern will be the amount of energy your system can absorb. This will be given by .5*force*distance, where force is the tensile strength at which the cable starts to stretch, it's elastic limit, and distance is the amount the cable stretches when this amount of force is supplied. The distance the cable stretches depends on it's stiffness. There are various figures out there on the net, but I'm hesitant to supply any details because I don't want to get sued if I'm wrong :-).

Over and above this, you'll want to have some safety factor, at least 2:1, and probably more like 5:1.

Probably a mechanical engineer can give you a better answer than I can.

gcheris said:
We've installed a 'zip line' and are trying to figure the maximum load it can safely carry. To date, it has handled, without complaint, 210 lbs. This is fine except over time an overload will obviously weaken the cable - we don't want to do that!

The line is a 3/8th inch aircraft cable (14,400 lbs test) attached to upright 16" x 10" x 1/4" steel i-beams which are embedded in 5' deep x 4' diamenter concrete plus the tops are anchored, via the same 3/8th inch cable, apx 8' to the rear in more concrete. The attachment point on one i-beam is 11' above the other i-beam.

The trolly is a commercially mfg 14,400 lb test unit.

The deflection is about 14-20" over the 275' span (a sight guess).

Does anyone know of a formula to determine the maximum safe working load? :confused:

I would prefer to see some drawing or scheme of the structure described. Do you mind drawing one?

Thanks

Thanks to all who supplied info, it will help in solving the problem.

Good luck! I just wanted to clarify my remarks about high dynamic loads and energy a bit. Consider taking a large weight, putting it near the middle of your rig, and letting it drop a bit. If your cable system is very stiff, the weight will stop very suddenly, generating a very large force on the cable. This is what I mean by dynamic loading, and explains why I mentioend the energy absoprtion of the system as being of a concern. If you know the change in length of the cable that occurs at max rated load, you can calculate the rated energy absorption from .5*force*change-in-distance, as I mentioned. You'll have to judge for yourself how much energy the cable system might have to absorb, unless you can find some engineering guidelines somewhere. A couple of scenarios would be m*g*h, for a mass m suddenly dropped a distance h, or .5*m*v^2, for something sliding along the zipline at velocity v that stopped suddenly because a pulley "stuck"

gcheris said:
...over time an overload will obviously weaken the cable...
A steel cable experiences little or no fatigue stress because its stress is virtually all tension: it will not weaken over time.

1. What is horizontal wire cable load?

Horizontal wire cable load is the amount of weight or force that is exerted on a horizontal wire cable. It is typically measured in pounds or newtons.

2. How do I calculate horizontal wire cable load?

To calculate horizontal wire cable load, you will need to know the weight of the object or objects being supported by the cable, the distance between the supports, and the weight of the cable itself. The formula for calculating horizontal wire cable load is load = (weight of object + weight of cable) x distance between supports.

3. Why is it important to calculate horizontal wire cable load?

Calculating horizontal wire cable load is important because it ensures that the cable is able to support the weight of the objects being suspended. If the load exceeds the weight limit of the cable, it can lead to structural failure and potential safety hazards.

4. What factors can affect horizontal wire cable load?

The factors that can affect horizontal wire cable load include the weight of the objects being supported, the distance between supports, the weight and strength of the cable, and external forces such as wind or vibrations. Environmental factors like temperature and humidity can also impact the load capacity of the cable.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when calculating horizontal wire cable load?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when calculating horizontal wire cable load. Make sure to use accurate and up-to-date weight and distance measurements, and consider potential external factors that may affect the load. It is also recommended to consult with a professional engineer for complex or high-risk calculations.