Vector Symbol Meaning - Explained by stampede247

In summary, the vector symbol is a mathematical representation of a quantity with both magnitude and direction, commonly represented by an arrow in a specific direction. In science, it is used to represent physical quantities and is also used in mathematical equations. The main difference between a vector and a scalar is that a vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. There are different types of vector symbols used in science, such as boldface letters, arrow symbols, and hat symbols. Vector symbols are commonly used in scientific research to represent and analyze physical quantities in various fields.
stampede247
So I am working on verlet integration using http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/verletPhys/page2.asp" algorithm. What I wanted to know was what do the symbols above the letters mean. N R and R0 are all 2d Vectors. Anybody know?

Thanks,
stampede247

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi stampede247! :smile:

i think those marks are just arrows …

you put the arrow above the letter to make it clear that the letter represents a vector (instead of a hât, putting it in bold, underlining it, etc, or simply trusting the readers to use their common-sense!) :wink:

What does the vector symbol mean?

The vector symbol is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction and its length represents the magnitude of the quantity.

How is the vector symbol used in science?

In science, vector symbols are commonly used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in mathematical equations to describe the direction and magnitude of a quantity.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude.

Are there different types of vector symbols?

Yes, there are different types of vector symbols used in science. Some examples include the boldface letter in physics (i.e. F for force), the arrow symbol in mathematics (i.e. for vector), and the hat symbol (^) used to denote a unit vector (i.e. ^a for a unit vector in the direction of vector a).

How can I use vector symbols in my scientific research?

Vector symbols are commonly used in scientific research, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to represent and analyze physical quantities and their relationships in experiments, simulations, and mathematical models.