Molarity of Copper Ion solution produced from Copper, Nitric Acid, and Water

In summary, the molarity of Cu2+ ions in a solution formed by dissolving 0.1036 g of copper metal in 48 mL of concentrated HNO3 and adding water to make a total volume of 208.1 mL is 0.0078 M. Balancing the reaction is not necessary and the discrepancy with webassign's answer may be due to incorrect accuracy.
torquemada

Homework Statement

(c) A 0.1036 g sample of copper metal is dissolved in 48 mL of concentrated HNO3 to form Cu2+ ions and then water is added to make a total volume of 208.1 mL. (Calculate the molarity of Cu2+.)

Homework Equations

Molarity = Moles/Liter

The Attempt at a Solution

.1036g/63.55g/mol = .0016302124 moles

.0016302124/.2081 (moles of Copper Ions over final Volume in liters) = .0078337935 M - webassign says this is wrong. I'm thinking perhaps the reaction between copper metal and HNO3 to yield Cu2+ ions isn't 1:1 in stoichiometry and maybe i have to balance the equation and use oxidation states to get it right but i have no idea how to approach balancing this reaction because I'm not even clear what the products are and then I'm not sure if water does anything additional to the solution besides add volume, maybe some other reaction happens? thx

The molarity they want is the molarity of Cu2+

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm - my answer is correct but webassign was being retarded and inconsistent with significant figures, as it often is. thanks anyway

The balancing is not necessary. Copper metal, all converted to Cu+2.
How many moles of Cu? How much volume of final solution as liters? Calculate moles Cu in 1 liter. That is your molarity of Cu (in your example, as Cu+2 ions.)

Is your webassign expecting correct accuracy for the given values? You showed too many significant figures in your work.

(Just finished writing my message while torquemada's post was made.)

oh ok hehe

ions, not the molarity of the copper metal. So you need to calculate how many moles of Cu2+ ions are present in the final solution, and then divide by the total volume.

First, calculate the moles of Cu2+ ions produced from the 0.1036 g of copper metal:

0.1036 g Cu * (1 mol Cu / 63.55 g Cu) * (2 mol Cu2+ / 1 mol Cu) = 0.003259 mol Cu2+

Then, calculate the final volume in liters:

208.1 mL * (1 L / 1000 mL) = 0.2081 L

Now you can calculate the molarity of Cu2+ ions:

0.003259 mol Cu2+ / 0.2081 L = 0.01566 M Cu2+

1. What is molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute per liter of solution.

2. How is molarity calculated?

Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. How do I determine the molarity of a solution?

To determine the molarity of a solution, you need to know the number of moles of the solute and the volume of the solution. You can then use the formula M = moles of solute / volume of solution (in liters) to calculate the molarity.

4. What is the molarity of a copper ion solution produced from copper, nitric acid, and water?

The molarity of a copper ion solution produced from copper, nitric acid, and water will depend on the amount of each substance used and the final volume of the solution. To determine the molarity, you will need to know the number of moles of copper and the volume of the solution. You can then use the formula M = moles of copper / volume of solution (in liters) to calculate the molarity.

5. How does the molarity of a solution affect its properties?

The molarity of a solution can affect its properties, such as its boiling and freezing points, osmotic pressure, and reactivity. It can also affect the rate of a chemical reaction, as the concentration of a reactant affects the frequency of collisions between reactant particles.