A man died and a professional detective an apprentice to inspect.

• Thread starter ashishsinghal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    professional
In summary: I know some cultures write from right to left instead of left to right. And some read from top to bottom moving from right to left. So aren't their some cultures that would write a book so that the binding would be on the right when looking at the front cover instead of the binding being on the left when looking at the front...
ashishsinghal
A man died and a professional detective an apprentice to inspect. He gave the report of his inspection as follows:

The man - Greg Richards- weighing 62 kg, height 6 feet 3 inches lying dead on a chair near a window. Man was a news reporter.Bullet hole found on window pane. 0.3mm bullet used. The items in the room were scattered. Wooden cupboard- 2.37m high, 1.2m wide- opened, clothes scattered. A heavy metallic box-weighing 5.1kg, dimensions 45cm x 31cm x 23cm lying on the floor - must have contained important documents.Has digital lock. A novel lying on the floor, pages 23,24 opened. Book name -xyz...
On reading the report the detective fired the apprentice. Can you tell why?

Physics news on Phys.org

I dunno-- I'm probably missing something more subtle and wrong, but a lot of the numbers just don't make sense:

1) He uses "Standard" for the height of the man, but metric everywhere else.

2) He lists the bullet as "0.3mm", which is something like the thickness of 3 sheets of paper.

3) The presumed victim is 6'3" and only 62kg? I'm 6'0", and about 70kg, and I'm skinny. This guy's taller and *lighter*? Is that with or without the blood that's presumably been let out of the body?

4) The strongbox is 5.1kg, but should probably weigh at least twice as much.

And he also missed the detail of how the man died, and where the bullet wound was (presuming it was a gunshot wound)-- pretty important details, considering the attention he decided to pay to what page the novel was open to.

DaveE

I agree with everything davee said above.

I'd say he was fired because that is quite clearly the worst police report ever written.

davee123 said:
2) He lists the bullet as "0.3mm", which is something like the thickness of 3 sheets of paper.

3) The presumed victim is 6'3" and only 62kg? I'm 6'0", and about 70kg, and I'm skinny. This guy's taller and *lighter*? Is that with or without the blood that's presumably been let out of the body?

4) The strongbox is 5.1kg, but should probably weigh at least twice as much.

And he also missed the detail of how the man died, and where the bullet wound was (presuming it was a gunshot wound)-- pretty important details, considering the attention he decided to pay to what page the novel was open to.

Sorry, make it 9mm for the bullet.
For part 3 and 4 you do not really need to go into BMI and type of metal or that kind of stuff.
So, that does not give any reason to detective to fire him.

Also, the letter was not complete. Didnt you see the dots...

Ok, I confess that a lot of information was written by me and since I am not a professional investigator, the report does not look pretty. Well, please go beyond that!

ashishsinghal said:
Sorry, make it 9mm for the bullet.
For part 3 and 4 you do not really need to go into BMI and type of metal or that kind of stuff.
So, that does not give any reason to detective to fire him.

Also, the letter was not complete. Didnt you see the dots...

Doesn't change the fact that it's the worst written police report ever - I'd say that's enough to fire him, especially if he didn't finish it.

ashishsinghal said:
A man died and a professional detective an apprentice to inspect. He gave the report of his inspection as follows:

The man - Greg Richards- weighing 62 kg, height 6 feet 3 inches lying dead on a chair near a window. Man was a news reporter.Bullet hole found on window pane. 0.3mm bullet used. The items in the room were scattered. Wooden cupboard- 2.37m high, 1.2m wide- opened, clothes scattered. A heavy metallic box-weighing 5.1kg, dimensions 45cm x 31cm x 23cm lying on the floor - must have contained important documents.Has digital lock. A novel lying on the floor, pages 23,24 opened. Book name -xyz...
On reading the report the detective fired the apprentice. Can you tell why?

The book pages don't make sense either, the smaller number is normally even, but in this case it's odd.

Deleted... i give up

Last edited:

Jimmy Snyder said:
The book pages don't make sense either, the smaller number is normally even, but in this case it's odd.

Smart thinking, that was the solution.

Jimmy Snyder said:

ashishsinghal said:
Smart thinking, that was the solution.

Is this universally the case?

I know some cultures write from right to left instead of left to right. And some read from top to bottom moving from right to left.

So aren't their some cultures that would write a book so that the binding would be on the right when looking at the front cover instead of the binding being on the left when looking at the front cover?

Hm...given the state of the report, the apprentice has done shoddy work in the past. The detective gave the apprentice a warning and stated that if he was sloppy again he would lose his job. The apprentice was sloppy and therefore fired.

Also, there were budget cuts, and they couldn't afford to keep him.

1. What is the premise of the story?

The premise of the story is that a man has died and a professional detective and an apprentice are tasked with investigating his death.

2. Who is the main character in the story?

The main character in the story is the professional detective who is leading the investigation.

3. What is the purpose of the apprentice in the story?

The purpose of the apprentice is to learn from the professional detective and assist in the investigation.

4. What challenges do the characters face in the story?

The characters face the challenge of solving a mysterious death and uncovering the truth behind it.

5. Is this story based on a real event or is it fictional?

This story is fictional and is not based on a real event.