Deriving Coefficients for Calculating Figure of Merit

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for a paper or article that provides derivations for the coefficients used in calculating the thermoelectric figure of merit (ZT). The suggested resources include a paper by M. S. Dresselhaus et al. and textbooks and online sources such as "Introduction to Thermoelectricity" and "Thermoelectrics Handbook: Macro to Nano". These materials offer detailed explanations and derivations of the ZT value and its components.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

Hi...

Don't know if it's actually homework, since it's not, but I hope it's okay to post in here.
I am looking for a paper/website/article of some sort, that might have the derivations of the above mentioned coefficients ?
It's for calculating the figure of merit:

[tex]Z=\frac{\sigma {{S}^{2}}}{\kappa }[/tex]

Homework Equations

The equations if was hoping to maybe find some derivatins of is these three:

[tex]\sigma ={{e}^{2}}\int{d\varepsilon \left( -\frac{\partial {{f}_{0}}}{\partial \varepsilon } \right)\Xi \left( \varepsilon \right)}[/tex]

[tex]S=\frac{e{{k}_{B}}}{\sigma }\int{d\varepsilon \left( -\frac{\partial {{f}_{0}}}{\partial \varepsilon } \right)\Xi \left( \varepsilon \right)}\frac{\varepsilon -\mu }{{{k}_{B}}T}[/tex]

[tex]{{\kappa }_{0}}={{k}_{B}}T\int{d\varepsilon \left( -\frac{\partial {{f}_{0}}}{\partial \varepsilon } \right)\Xi \left( \varepsilon \right)}{{\left[ \frac{\varepsilon -\mu }{{{k}_{B}}T} \right]}^{2}}[/tex]

where:

[tex]\[\Xi =\sum\limits_{\overrightarrow{k}}{{{\overrightarrow{v}}_{\overrightarrow{k}}}{{\overrightarrow{v}}_{\overrightarrow{k}}}{{\tau }_{\overrightarrow{k}}}}\][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know if it is possible to find derivations of these, or somewhat similar, or I have to calculate it myself. But I just wanted to try.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,
Thank you for posting your question in this forum. It is absolutely okay to post here and I will do my best to assist you.

The figure of merit you are referring to is commonly used in the field of thermoelectrics and is known as the thermoelectric figure of merit (ZT). The ZT value is a measure of the efficiency of a thermoelectric material in converting heat to electricity.

To answer your question, there are several papers and articles that discuss the derivation and calculation of the ZT value. One of the most commonly cited papers is "Thermoelectric figure of merit of a one-dimensional conductor" by M. S. Dresselhaus et al. (Phys. Rev. B 47, 12976 – Published 1 May 1993). This paper provides a detailed derivation of the ZT value for a one-dimensional conductor.

Additionally, there are several textbooks and online resources that discuss the derivation of the ZT value and its components. Some recommended resources include "Introduction to Thermoelectricity" by Julian Goldsmid and "Thermoelectrics Handbook: Macro to Nano" edited by D.M. Rowe. You can also find helpful materials on websites such as ResearchGate and arXiv.

I hope this helps in your search for the derivation of the ZT value. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck.

Regards,

What is the purpose of deriving coefficients for calculating figure of merit?

The purpose of deriving coefficients for calculating figure of merit is to accurately measure and compare the performance of different materials or systems. Figure of merit is a numerical value that represents the overall effectiveness of a material or system in achieving a specific goal or function. By deriving coefficients, we can standardize the calculation of figure of merit and make meaningful comparisons between different materials or systems.

How are coefficients derived for calculating figure of merit?

Coefficients for calculating figure of merit are typically derived through experimental or theoretical methods. This involves conducting experiments or using mathematical models to determine the relationship between a material or system's properties and its performance. The coefficients are then calculated based on these relationships and used in the figure of merit calculation.

What factors should be considered when deriving coefficients for calculating figure of merit?

When deriving coefficients for calculating figure of merit, it is important to consider the specific goal or function being evaluated, the properties of the material or system being tested, and the conditions under which the performance is being measured. Other factors such as cost, availability, and environmental impact may also be taken into account depending on the application.

Are there different methods for deriving coefficients for calculating figure of merit?

Yes, there are various methods for deriving coefficients for calculating figure of merit. Some common methods include regression analysis, which uses statistical techniques to determine the relationship between variables, and simulation, which uses computer models to predict performance based on material properties. The method chosen will depend on the specific application and available resources.

How accurate are the coefficients derived for calculating figure of merit?

The accuracy of derived coefficients for calculating figure of merit depends on the quality of the data and the method used to derive them. It is important to carefully design experiments and use appropriate mathematical models to ensure accurate and reliable results. Additionally, it is important to consider the limitations and uncertainties associated with any experimental or theoretical approach and to report these along with the derived coefficients.