Fukushima Unit Four: Details and Risks of the Hydrogen Explosion

• Fukushima
  • Thread starter Quim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, Unit four experienced a weak hydrogen blast due to the accumulation of hydrogen gas after electricity was lost and air circulation stopped. The upper portion of the building's warmth encouraged chemical reactions that likely caused the explosion. Radiolysis, the dissociation of molecules by radiation, is a concern in wet storage as it can lead to the accumulation of hydrogen gas. The suggestion of using pool water to generate hydrogen fuel was also mentioned. However, there is no evidence of any significant details remaining unknown and it has been decided to close the discussion thread.
Quim
Unit four appears to me to have no significant details left unknown.

This was a weak hydrogen blast. The hydrogen had accumulated slowly after electricity was lost and air circulation stopped. The upper portion of the building was becoming quite warm which was encouraging the chemical reactions which probably initiated the explosion.

Two clips from post # 856 by fusefiz:
fusefiz said:
"Radiolysis, the dissociation of molecules by radiation, is of particular concern in wet storage, as water may be split by residual radiation and hydrogen gas may accumulate increasing the risk of explosions. For this reason the air in the room of the pools, as well as the water, must permanently be monitored and treated"

While searching for info, I did run across this off-subject suggestion of using the pool water to generate hydrogen fuel:
Unit #4 probably exploded with near the minimum of hydrogen possible for a deflageration and far below the limit for a detonation.

Hydrogen reacts with enough metals and such so as to provide a source for the few joules of energy needed to set it off.

Compared to what most people have in their minds as an "explosion" this was more like a big puff. (I think most people visualize something high velocity such as an IED when they think of an explosion.) Fuel/air explosions require a bit of an adjustment of outlook for some.

But I see no secrets left at unit four.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Quim said:
Unit four appears to me to have no significant details left unknown.

(...)

But I see no secrets left at unit four.

Which is a reason why I am closing this thread - let's not multiply entities beyond necessity.

1. What caused the hydrogen explosion at Fukushima Unit Four?

The hydrogen explosion at Fukushima Unit Four was caused by the buildup of hydrogen gas inside the reactor building. This gas was produced as a byproduct of the nuclear reactions and could not be effectively vented due to damage to the building's ventilation system caused by the earthquake and tsunami.

2. What were the details of the explosion?

The explosion at Fukushima Unit Four occurred on March 15, 2011, and was classified as a level 4 event on the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale. It caused significant damage to the reactor building and released radioactive material into the environment. However, it did not result in a breach of the reactor's containment vessel.

3. What were the main risks associated with the explosion?

The main risks associated with the Fukushima Unit Four hydrogen explosion were the release of radioactive material into the environment and the potential for damage to the reactor's containment vessel. The explosion also posed a threat to the safety of workers at the site and the surrounding communities.

4. How did the explosion impact the surrounding environment?

The explosion at Fukushima Unit Four released radioactive material into the air, water, and soil, leading to contamination of the surrounding environment. This resulted in the evacuation of nearby residents and restrictions on fishing and agriculture in the area. However, the long-term effects on the environment are still being studied.

5. What measures were taken to prevent similar explosions in the future?

After the Fukushima Unit Four explosion, measures were taken to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future. This includes improvements to the design and safety features of nuclear reactors, as well as enhanced emergency response plans and stricter regulations for nuclear power plants. Additionally, the use of alternative energy sources has been promoted to reduce reliance on nuclear energy.