When will China overtake the U.S, economically?

• News
  • Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China
In summary, the conversation centered around the topic of economic dominance and the potential decline of the United States. The contributors discussed various factors such as GDP calculations, the impact of manufacturing decline, and the role of war in the economy. Some expressed concerns about the reliance on the finance and military industries, while others argued that these industries have played a crucial role in the country's success. The conversation also touched on the importance of job creation and the role of intellectual property in manufacturing and innovation. There were differing opinions on the current state of the US economy and what steps should be taken to ensure its success in the future.
willbell said:
Forgive me but are you being sarcastic or just emphasizing the word certain, sorry if it is a stupid question but you understand if sarcasm doesn't carry well in written word. :redface:

Emphasizing. There is zero chance that current trends will continue without interruption for 18 years.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://news.yahoo.com/china-firm-acquire-major-african-052727505.html
BEIJING (AP) -- A privately owned Chinese company is finalizing the acquisition of an Australian mining firm that controls a major iron ore mine in west Africa, a move that would give China a stronger role in setting global iron ore prices, China's official Xinhua News Agency reported Saturday.
. . . .
Hanlong is seeking a partnership with Chinese state-owned companies and investing $5 billion to develop the Mbalam project and to build a 550-kilometer (340-mile) railway and a shipping port, Xinhua said.. . . .
Ostensibly, the railroad and port will be built under Chinese supervision and using Chinese made steel and equipment.

Last time I checked, 9 of 10 largest global mining and mineral companies were non-US (majority BRIC, IIRC), and they were developing iron and other metals used in construction and structural materials.

ImaLooser said:
Right. I am CERTAIN that China is corrupt as hell, that much of their investment is foolish and/or phony, that the statistics they release are false, that those in charge don't know what they are doing, and the whole propped-up mess will crash. So projections of their current rate of growth will not be realized.

Yup, it took them a while to learn how other countries play the "world economics game", but they figured it out eventually.