Does the Moment of Inertia Change When a Gyroscope is Lifted?

In summary, the gyroscope was able to show that the angular frequency of the spinning disc changes when it is lifted above the horizontal.
Daniiel
Hey

I just finished an experiment in my physics lab where we examined the precession and nutation of a gyroscope.

The gyroscope was built with a shaft which had a pivot in the middle, on one end of the shaft the large spinning disc was placed and on the left side of the shaft counterweights were placed.

Torque was applied on the side of the large spinning disc, firstly the shaft was kept horizontal and several measurements were made (the angular precession frequency and the angular frequency of the spinning disc) then a relationship was developed and compared to a formula we were provided. This formula was wpr = T/(Ix wx)
Where T is torque r x F, Wpr the precession frequency, Wx the spin frequency and Ix the moment of inertia about the x-axis which was 0.5MR2 where M is the mass of the disc, R is it's radius.

Our results fit well this the equation provided and everything seemed correct.

We then examined the effect of changing the angle of inclination, so took the measurements again with the disc raised at various angles. The results obtained were not consistent with the forumla provided.

My question is, does the moment of inertia about the x-axis change when the disc is lifted, and if so does it decrease?

I would think it does change since at the horizontal everything is at its furthest apart positions, then when the disc is lifted above the horizontal everything moves closer towards the axis of the pivot, kind of hard to explain that sorry.

Here's a terribly drawn picture of the apparatus:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4884/gyroscope.jpg

But yea, thanks in advanced,

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you took into account that rxF is not a constant?

Yea we did,

Do you think its correct to think that Ix changes?

1. What is a gyroscope moment of inertia?

The gyroscope moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined by the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

2. How is gyroscope moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia for a gyroscope is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of the distance from its axis of rotation.

3. Why is gyroscope moment of inertia important?

Gyroscope moment of inertia is important because it affects the stability and control of an object's rotational motion. It is also used in the design and operation of many machines and devices, such as gyroscopes and spacecraft.

4. How does gyroscope moment of inertia differ from regular moment of inertia?

The main difference between gyroscope moment of inertia and regular moment of inertia is that gyroscope moment of inertia takes into account the rotation of the object's own axis, while regular moment of inertia only considers the object's motion around an external axis.

5. How can gyroscope moment of inertia be changed?

Gyroscope moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass or distribution of mass of the object. For example, increasing the mass or moving it further from the axis of rotation will increase the moment of inertia, while decreasing the mass or moving it closer to the axis of rotation will decrease the moment of inertia.