Prove Levi-Civita Symbol is Only 3D Isotropic Tensor

In summary, the discussion is about the concept of isotropic tensors in three-dimensional Euclidean space. The conversation touches on the use of group representation theory to derive invariant tensors under specific group elements, specifically spatial rotations in SO(3). It is mentioned that the Levi-Civita tensor, which is a completely antisymmetric 3-tensor with one independent component, is an example of an isotropic tensor in three dimensions. The conversation also mentions a book by Rutherford Aris that provides a more elementary proof of this concept. The term "tensor density" is briefly discussed and its relation to the Levi-Civita tensor is questioned.
kof9595995
My fluid mechanics textbook says so but gives no proof, I see why it's isotropic but I can't think of why it's the only isotropic tensor in 3D space.

Physics news on Phys.org

What does isotropic here mean? Invariant under rotations (elements from SO(3) )?

I have the feeling you should be a bit more precise. Usually, one derives invariant tensors under specific group elements from group decomposition. You're working in three dimensional Euclidean space, so you should look at spatial rotations, which are elements of SO(3). For instance, if you denote by V the vector representation of SO(3) and by S the scalar representation, one should have

[tex]
V \otimes V \otimes V = S_A + \ldots
[/tex]

This means that the tensor product of three vectors can be decomposed in a completely antisymmetric part (which is the meaning of the subscript A) plus other stuff not important for your question. A completely antisymmetric 3-tensor in 3 dimensions has one independent component (check this!), and hence is "effectively a scalar". This shows that one has an invariant (isotropic!) tensor in three dimensions which is completely antisymmetric: the Levi-Civita 'tensor'.

Note that this is not a tensor for general transformations; one uses the fact that the determinant of an element of SO(3) is +1. Technically, it is a tensor density!

thanks, I meant invariant under SO(3). Actually I'm learning some group representation theory now but haven't gone far, so I guess I'll save you post for reading in more details later. And where can I read a detailed proof on this?

thanks, I meant invariant under SO(3). Actually I'm learning some group representation theory now but haven't gone far, so I guess I'll save you post for reading in more details later. And where can I read a detailed proof on this?

Perhaps it's somewhere in Georgi's text on Lie groups :)

I found a elementary proof of this, I don't know if the group method is neater or not, but this one is definitely much more elementary. It's in a book called "Vectors, tensors, and the basic equations of fluid mechanics" by Rutherford Aris, and method can be found in chap 2.7. The basic idea is to first show Levi-Civita is indeed invariant, second by considering a few special rotations to show that if a rank-3 3-D tensor has to be Levi-Civita before it can be an isotropic tensor.

Actually I'm a bit curious of the nomenclature of "tensor density".It's obvious why it's called "relative tensor", but what does it have anything to do with density?

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol?

The Levi-Civita symbol, denoted as ε, is a mathematical object used to represent the orientation of a coordinate system in three-dimensional space. It takes on the value of +1, -1, or 0 depending on the order of the indices.

2. What is an isotropic tensor?

An isotropic tensor is a tensor that has the same value in all coordinate systems. In other words, it is invariant under a change of coordinates. This means that the tensor behaves the same regardless of the orientation of the coordinate system.

3. Why is the Levi-Civita symbol considered an isotropic tensor in 3D?

In three-dimensional space, the Levi-Civita symbol takes on the same value in all coordinate systems. This is because there are only two possible orientations for a three-dimensional coordinate system, and the Levi-Civita symbol is designed to take on the value of +1 or -1 for these two orientations, making it an isotropic tensor.

4. How can it be proven that the Levi-Civita symbol is only an isotropic tensor in 3D?

One can prove that the Levi-Civita symbol is only an isotropic tensor in 3D by showing that it does not hold this property in higher dimensions. In dimensions other than 3, the Levi-Civita symbol takes on different values for different orientations, breaking the definition of an isotropic tensor.

5. What are the implications of the Levi-Civita symbol being an isotropic tensor in 3D?

The fact that the Levi-Civita symbol is an isotropic tensor in 3D has significant implications in various fields of science and engineering. It allows for simpler and more elegant equations in 3D calculations, and it is a crucial tool in understanding and solving problems in mechanics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics.