Wall Acceleration: Physics Noob's Curious Query

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of force and how it applies when exerted on a wall. It explains that both the wall and the person pushing on it do not accelerate because there are other forces acting on them. The formula for force is also mentioned, but it is noted that it does not apply in this scenario. To measure the force, one can use methods such as a spring scale or measuring the deflection of a structure. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding these reaction forces, especially when it comes to determining the strength of a wall.
classicalguss
I'm a bit of a physics noob, but I am always curious about everything in the world.

I concluded from Newton's third law that when you exert a force on a wall it exerts a force back on you. But I want to know from where does that force actually come?

I mean ok you as a person might have a mass and an acceleration, but the wall doesn't though, so how come it has a force that it exerts on you? Does the wall accelerate to begin with?

Physics news on Phys.org
The wall or you--or any other object--will only accelerate if there's a net force on it. When you push the wall there are other forces acting on the wall (such as the ground) which prevent it from accelerating. Similarly, when you push the wall you don't accelerate either (unless you're standing on a puddle of oil) since the ground also exerts a force on you.

Thanks for the reply, and I think things are more clear now. The formula for Force though is F=ma. But since you said neither I or the wall accelerate, then how does it come, or better put, how would you ever calculate that kind of force.

To measure it directly, you could do something like put a spring scale between you and the wall. If it's some other structure, for example a beam which you know the properties of, you might measure the deflection of the beam when you push on it. (This is how a beam torque wrench works).

Anyhow, despite not contributing to any motion, these reaction forces have important implications -- for example, you might like to know how strong your wall needs to be.

classicalguss said:
The formula for Force though is F=ma.
That's a formula for net force, better written as: ΣF = ma.
But since you said neither I or the wall accelerate, then how does it come, or better put, how would you ever calculate that kind of force.
To produce an acceleration, all you need is a net force.

Doc Al said:
That's a formula for net force, better written as: ΣF = ma.
In other words, there are lots of other equations for force and that one doesn't really apply here.

If you push on a wall, the surface of the wall compresses a bit, similar to a sping. So does the surface of your hands, if you're pushing with your hands. The amount of compression corresponds to the amount of force (it's probably not linear like a spring though).

What is wall acceleration?

Wall acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object that occurs when it comes into contact with a wall or other solid surface. It is caused by the force of the object pushing against the wall, which results in a change in its motion.

How is wall acceleration calculated?

Wall acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force exerted by the object on the wall, and m is the mass of the object. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration.

Does the material of the wall affect its acceleration?

Yes, the material of the wall can affect its acceleration. This is because different materials have different properties, such as density and elasticity, which can impact the force exerted by the object and the resulting acceleration. For example, a soft foam wall will experience less acceleration from an object hitting it compared to a solid concrete wall.

Can an object experience multiple accelerations when hitting a wall?

Yes, an object can experience multiple accelerations when hitting a wall. This is because the force of the impact may cause the object to bounce or ricochet off the wall, resulting in multiple changes in its velocity and direction of motion. Additionally, if the object is already in motion before hitting the wall, it may experience different accelerations as it comes into contact with the wall at different points.

How does wall acceleration relate to other concepts in physics?

Wall acceleration is closely related to concepts such as force, momentum, and energy. It is also an important factor in understanding collisions and the conservation of momentum. Additionally, understanding wall acceleration can help in predicting the behavior of objects in various situations, such as in sports or car accidents.