Stuck on Algebra in Time Dilation Problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses a time dilation problem involving a planet orbiting a star 20 light years away and a rocket ship traveling at a certain velocity to make a round trip in 40 years. The problem is set up using the equation T= L/v=T[o]/√(1-v^2/c^2) and the conversation focuses on solving for v. The final equation for v is v = \frac{cd}{\sqrt{d^2+c^2t^2}}, where c is the speed of light, d is the distance, t is the time on the spaceship, and v is the velocity. The speaker also offers to explain their method for obtaining this equation.
erincaldwell
I'm working on a simple time dilation problem: Astronomers discover a planet orbiting around a star similar to our sun that is 20 LY away. How fast must a rocket ship go if the round trip is to take no longer than 40 years in time for the astronauts aboard?

I have set up the problem:

T= L/v=T[o]/√(1-v^2/c^2)
where v is velocity and c is the speed of light and T[o] is proper time.
So:

= [2*(20LY)*(9.5*10^15 m/LY)]/v = 40 years/√(1-v^2/c^2).

Now I need to solve for v. I don't know how to get v alone. I tried squaring both sides and ended up with an equation like T[o]^2/L^2 + c^2 = v^2 , but that doesn't get me the right answer.
Please help! I'm going crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the basic equation that you have written out.

[tex]\frac{d}{v} = \frac{t}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

Solving for v gives:

[tex]v = \frac{cd}{\sqrt{d^2+c^2t^2}}[/tex]

where
c = speed of light constant
d = distance in metres
t = time (on spaceship) in seconds
v = velocity in m/s

At least by my reckoning!

Last edited:
If you want me to run through the procedure that I used to get the new equation in v then I'd be happy to run through it for you.

1. How does time dilation affect algebraic equations?

Time dilation is a concept in physics that states time appears to move slower for an object in motion compared to an object at rest. This means that the variables in algebraic equations related to time, such as velocity and distance, may be affected by this phenomenon.

2. What is the formula for time dilation in algebraic equations?

The formula for time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the time experienced by the moving object, t is the time experienced by the stationary object, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

3. How can I use algebra to solve for time dilation?

To solve for time dilation in an algebraic equation, you can rearrange the formula t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2) to isolate the variable you are solving for. This may involve using algebraic operations such as multiplication, division, or taking square roots.

4. Can you provide an example of a time dilation problem in algebra?

Sure, an example of a time dilation problem in algebra is: A spaceship is traveling at a velocity of 0.8c (80% of the speed of light) for 10 years. How much time has passed on the spaceship compared to Earth, where time appears to move at a normal rate? To solve this, we can use the formula t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2) and plug in the values to find the time experienced on the spaceship is 6.25 years.

5. How does time dilation impact our understanding of the universe?

Time dilation has significant implications in the field of physics, particularly in the study of space and time. It helps us understand how time is relative to the observer's frame of reference and how it can be affected by factors such as velocity and gravity. This concept is crucial in theories such as Einstein's theory of relativity and has led to further advancements in our understanding of the universe.