Understanding the Relationship Between Exterior and Cross Products

• Thread starter dimension10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the exterior product and the cross product are related through the Hodge dual and the determinant form of the exterior product. While the magnitude of the exterior product is the same as the magnitude of the cross product, the products themselves are not equivalent. Additionally, the wedge product and the exterior product are considered to be the same thing. To show their equality, one can use the definition of the wedge product and the cross product, as well as the property of norms.
dimension10
I have a question about the exterior product. Is it true that

[tex]\mathbf{a}\wedge\mathbf{b}=|| \mathbf{a}\times \mathbf{b}||[/tex]

If not, how does one relate the exterior product to the cross product?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably, you mean that a and b are vectors in R^3. Wedge product of vectors would be a bivector, so it couldn't possibly be equal to the left hand side.

If you take a wedge b and then the Hodge dual of that with respect to the Euclidean metric, you get the cross product.

Crash course in Hodge duals for this case:

Let e1, e2, e3 be a basis for R^3.

The Hodge dual of e1^ e2 can be written like (e1^e2)* and it will be e3.

And similarly, we have (e2^e3)* = e1 and (e3^e1)* = e2.

Then you can extend by linearity to the vector-space of all bivectors. You can see that this gives you the cross product.

homeomorphic said:
Presumably, you mean that a and b are vectors in R^3. Wedge product of vectors would be a bivector, so it couldn't possibly be equal to the left hand side.

If you take a wedge b and then the Hodge dual of that with respect to the Euclidean metric, you get the cross product.

Crash course in Hodge duals for this case:

Let e1, e2, e3 be a basis for R^3.

The Hodge dual of e1^ e2 can be written like (e1^e2)* and it will be e3.

And similarly, we have (e2^e3)* = e1 and (e3^e1)* = e2.

Then you can extend by linearity to the vector-space of all bivectors. You can see that this gives you the cross product.

Thanks.

I think I was confused by the picture in Wikipedia which makes it seem like the exterior product is the area of the parallelogram. This time, I noticed that there were 2 arrows around it, making it a bivector. So am I right to say that the magnitude of the exterior product is the same as the magnitude of the cross product whereas the exterior product itself is not the same as the magnitude?

Thanks.

dimension10 said:
I have a question about the exterior product. Is it true that

[tex]\mathbf{a}\wedge\mathbf{b}=|| \mathbf{a}\times \mathbf{b}||[/tex]

If not, how does one relate the exterior product to the cross product?

Thanks in advance.

Hey dimension10.

Are you familiar with the determinant form of the exterior product?

chiro said:
Hey dimension10.

Are you familiar with the determinant form of the exterior product?

The alternating exterior product?

dimension10 said:
The alternating exterior product?

Just before I give an answer, I just want to be clear: is the wedge product and the exterior product the same thing? (I was under the impression it was).

chiro said:
Just before I give an answer, I just want to be clear: is the wedge product and the exterior product the same thing? (I was under the impression it was).

I think they are.

dimension10 said:
I think they are.

In that case just use the definition of the wedge product (for R3 given two initial vectors) and the cross product and then use the property of norms (i.e. expand out the terms) to show they are equal.

What is the difference between exterior and cross products?

The exterior product, also known as the wedge product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors. The cross product, on the other hand, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors and also has a magnitude equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two input vectors.

How do exterior and cross products relate to each other?

The cross product can be seen as a special case of the exterior product, where the input vectors are restricted to three dimensions and the output vector is further constrained to be perpendicular to both input vectors.

What are the applications of exterior and cross products?

Exterior and cross products are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful in calculating torque, determining the direction of magnetic fields, and creating 3D models in computer graphics.

How do exterior and cross products affect vector operations?

Exterior and cross products are non-commutative operations, meaning that the order of the input vectors affects the output vector. They also follow the right-hand rule, where the direction of the output vector is determined by curling the fingers of the right hand from the first input vector to the second input vector.

What are the common misconceptions about exterior and cross products?

One common misconception is that exterior and cross products are the same thing. As mentioned earlier, they are related, but not identical operations. Another misconception is that the output of the cross product is always a vector perpendicular to the input vectors. This is only true when the input vectors are perpendicular to each other.