How to Prove a Matrix is Diagonal?

• Thread starter weetabixharry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a complex matrix \textbf{A} with linearly independent columns. The speaker is trying to prove that the matrix \textbf{B} = \textbf{A}^H\textbf{A} must be diagonal based on certain constraints and properties of \textbf{A}. However, a proof has not been found and the conversation delves into potential examples and implications.
weetabixharry
I've been stuck on this problem for so long it's getting ridiculous. Please help!

I have a complex matrix, [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex], whose columns are linearly independent. In other words, [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] is either tall or square and [itex] \left( \textbf{A}^H\textbf{A}\right)^{-1}[/itex] exists (where [itex]\left(\right)^H[/itex] denotes conjugate transpose). I am trying to prove that the matrix:

[itex]\textbf{B} \triangleq \left( \textbf{A}^H\textbf{A}\right)[/itex]

must be diagonal, based on the following:

[itex]\textbf{A}= diag(\underline{\lambda})\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H \textbf{A} \textbf{A}^H \textbf{A}[/itex]

for some real diagonal matrix [itex]diag(\underline{\lambda})[/itex]. It may or may not also be useful to note that [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] is also subject to the constraint:

[itex]\underline{diag}(\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) = \underline{1} [/itex]

by which I mean that all the diagonal entries of [itex](\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) [/itex] are equal to 1 (i.e. the Euclidean norms of the rows of [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] are all 1).

I have deduced all sorts of properties of [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex], but strongly believe that it should be possible to show that [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex] is diagonal... but a proof escapes me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I might misunderstand your problem but

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2\\ 3 & 4\end{array}\right)^H\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2\\ 3 & 4\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 10 & 14\\ 14 & 20\end{array}\right)[/tex]

This is not diagonal. It IS hermition though (as can easily be proven).

micromass said:
I might misunderstand your problem but

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2\\ 3 & 4\end{array}\right)^H\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2\\ 3 & 4\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc} 10 & 14\\ 14 & 20\end{array}\right)[/tex]

This is not diagonal. It IS hermition though (as can easily be proven).

I'm not sure what the consequences of that are in this context. The matrix you suggested cannot satisfy either of the equations:

[itex]\textbf{A}= diag(\underline{\lambda})\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H \textbf{A} \textbf{A}^H \textbf{A}[/itex]

[itex]\underline{diag}(\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) = \underline{1} [/itex]

weetabixharry said:
by which I mean that all the diagonal entries of [itex](\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) [/itex] are equal to 1 (i.e. the Euclidean norms of the rows of [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] are all 1).

Does this mean that [itex](\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) [/itex] is the identity matrix? :confused:

I like Serena said:
Does this mean that [itex](\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) [/itex] is the identity matrix? :confused:

It could be any matrix with ones on the diagonal. For example:

[itex]
(\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H) =
%
\left[
\begin{array}{lll}
1 & 3 & 2 \\
3 & 1 & 7 \\
2 & 7 & 1%
\end{array}%
\right]

[/itex]

would be suitable in this sense.

Oh, okay, so are the Euclidean norms of the rows of A not 1?

I like Serena said:
Oh, okay, so are the Euclidean norms of the rows of A not 1?

Yes, the Euclidean norms of the rows are 1.

Consider, for example:

[itex]
\textbf{A}=\left[
\begin{array}{ll}
1 & 0 \\
1 & 0 \\
0 & 1%
\end{array}%
\right] ,\quad \underline{\lambda }=\left[
\begin{array}{l}
0.25 \\
0.25 \\
1%
\end{array}%
\right]

[/itex]

The norms of all rows of [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] are equal to one, but [itex]\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H[/itex] is not the identity matrix:

[itex]
\textbf{A}\textbf{A}^H=\left[
\begin{array}{lll}
1 & 1 & 0 \\
1 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1%
\end{array}%
\right]

[/itex]

(but [itex]\textbf{A}^H\textbf{A}[/itex] is diagonal, and I want to show that this must always be true).

Last edited:

1. How can I determine if a matrix is diagonal?

To determine if a matrix is diagonal, you can check if all of its non-diagonal elements are equal to zero. If this is the case, then the matrix is diagonal.

2. What is the importance of diagonal matrices?

Diagonal matrices are important in linear algebra because they are easy to manipulate and solve. They also have special properties that make them useful in various areas of mathematics, such as in solving systems of linear equations.

3. What is the process for proving a matrix is diagonal?

The process for proving a matrix is diagonal is to first determine if all of its non-diagonal elements are equal to zero. If they are, then the matrix is diagonal. If not, you can use algebraic techniques such as row reduction to manipulate the matrix and show that it is diagonal.

4. Can a non-square matrix be diagonal?

No, a matrix must be square (have the same number of rows and columns) in order to be considered diagonal. If a matrix is not square, it cannot have diagonal elements.

5. How can I use diagonal matrices in real-world applications?

Diagonal matrices have many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. They are used in solving systems of linear equations, analyzing data in statistics, and in transformations in computer graphics. They are also useful in diagonalizing complex systems and simplifying calculations.